Football Giants' Manning has sore heel, hopes to practice

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
New York Giants fans seemingly can exhale.

Barring anything unexpected in an MRI, quarterback Eli Manning's sore right heel is simply that.

"I don't think it's nothing to be worried about," Manning said Monday. "It will be getting rid of the soreness."

A source told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen the MRI will determine the extent of plantar fascia. The initial diagnosis from a doctor is that Manning is suffering from plantar fasciitis, the source said. It is a persistent injury that will require rehab but it doesn't mean Manning can't play this weekend.

While the words were comforting for the Giants (4-0), so was the sight of Manning standing in front of his locker with neither a boot, a crutch nor much evidence of heavy tape on his right foot.

The only obvious sign of an injury was a slight limp when he walked away.

"Yeah, that's all positive stuff," Manning said. "I think it's just time and ice and some treatment here and at home, kind of nonstop everything for the next couple of days. My goal is by Wednesday to be practicing and get out there and not being restricted."

The past 24 hours have been a scary time for Giants faithful, knowing an injury could suddenly elevate veteran David Carr to the starting job this weekend against the Oakland Raiders, and a serious injury could crush hopes of another championship run.

Manning, who has thrown for 1,039 yards, eight touchdowns and two interceptions this season, was hurt early in the fourth quarter in a non-contact injury in New York's 27-16 win over the Chiefs in Kansas City.

The MVP of the Super Bowl in February 2008 made a fake on play-action and went back to throw. As he planted his right foot, he suddenly hopped as if he had stepped in a divot or something popped. He threw an incomplete pass to Steve Smith seconds later.

The play reminded many of the season-ending Achilles tendon injury former New York Jets quarterback Vinny Testaverde suffered at the start of the 1999 season.

"When I kind of felt it, I was a little worried," said Manning, who threw a touchdown pass to rookie Hakeem Nicks on the next play and then spent the rest of the game on the bench. "I knew what it was. I knew it was the bottom of my foot, my heel area. I could walk around a little bit. It was good that we got a touchdown on that play, kind of gave ourselves a pretty good lead at the time. I didn't have to come back in the game and risk anything worse to it."

Manning, who has started 82 consecutive games, still had some swelling and soreness Monday morning. He got ice and stimulation treatment and went through his strength program before attending meetings before talking to the media.

He said he was not worried about the MRI, which will be reviewed by Dr. Russell Warren later in the day.

"I think I am pretty quick healer," he said. "I think every day you are looking forward to tomorrow and seeing how it feels tomorrow, and hopefully it feels better."

Manning said his status for Sunday's home game against Oakland would depend on how fast the heel heals.

"It doesn't feel any worse today than it did yesterday, which is a good sign," Manning said. "Hopefully, it just gets better every day."

Manning has played through pain. He injured his right shoulder in a game against the Dallas Cowboys early in 2007 and came back the following weekend to play against the Green Bay Packers.

"When he played with the shoulder he couldn't practice that week," coach Tom Coughlin recalled. "He got right up to game time and he was pretty adamant about wanting to play."

Coughlin said Manning is one of those players who wants to be out there with his teammates.

"I am not worried about him," guard Rich Seubert said. "A couple of years ago, he had the shoulder or whatever it was and he was fine and didn't miss anything. Then I let [Cleveland Browns nose tackle] Shaun Rogers fall on him last year. He's a tough kid. I know on Sunday he will be out there playing with us."

Manning admitted he took a little ribbing from teammates during film reviews on Monday. Center Shaun O'Hara accused him of trying to get a little extra camera time.

"I had a few comments today, which were deserved," Manning said. "It didn't look pretty. I almost had a big play out of it, I got a touchdown on the next play, so it all worked out."

Carr, the No. 1 pick overall by the Houston Texans in the 2002 draft and a veteran of 79 NFL starts, is ready just in case.

"I feel as good as I did the day I showed up in the NFL," Carr said. "Mentally I am a lot better quarterback than I was my first year. I had no clue what I was doing."

Back