Four-Rounder 4/24: Last mock before the real thing

DNoz29

Bench Warmer
No projected trades, but there could be a lot of activity tomorrow. Have at it. :)

Round 1

1. Detroit - QB Matthew Stafford*, Georgia
- This is about the only route Detroit can go. They need a franchise QB and Stafford has a chance to be that. Jason Smith might end up ultimately being a better pick, but they can't pass on a QB.
2. St. Louis - QB Mark Sanchez*, USC
- This one is a shock. I've been on the Curry bandwagon for quite some time. I haven't jumped off of it, either. However, if the Rams think Mark Sanchez is a the guy to lead this team for the next decade, they will not pass on him. He is the prototypical West Coast Offense QB and has a great head on his shoulders. I'll wait for Mike's reply on this one. ;)
3. Kansas City - DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
- A lot of chatter about Jackson to KC this week, and I've bought into it. He's drawing comparisons to Richard Seymour, who has been a staple of the Pats' defense for the last eight years. I think KC could ultimately trade down, but it wouldn't be as likely if Sanchez is off the board.
4. Seattle - OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- Smith, widely considered the best OT in the draft (I'd take Monroe over him), falls right into Seattle's lap. They take the guy who will replace Walter Jones on the left side. Jon will be happy.
5. Cleveland - ILB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- He was popularly mocked to the Browns a couple months ago, but they never thought he'd fall to Cleveland on draft day. He is the best player in the draft and the Browns would be lucky to have him.
6. Cincinnati - OT Andre Smith*, Alabama
- Like the Jackson-to-KC rumors, Smith-to-Cincy has picked up steam. He is one of the most talented OTs and will ultimately be a Pro Bowl RT in the league if he can keep his head on straight. Cincinnati is no stranger to guys with character concerns.
7. Oakland - WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland
- Al Davis loves speed. Heyward-Bey is the fastest WR in this year's draft. 2+2 = DHB.
8. Jacksonville - WR Michael Crabtree*, Texas Tech
- Once as high as No. 2 in my mocks, Crabtree's inability to workout and his less-than-stellar pre-draft visits allow him to fall to Jacksonville -- and they couldn't be happier.
9. Green Bay - DT B.J. Raji, Boston College
- The reports about him testing positive for marijuana were untrue. Still, he falls a little, but stays in the top 10. Green Bay is going to a 3-4 and Raji is the best 3-4 NT in the draft (by far).
10. San Francisco - OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- The Niners would ecstatic if Monroe somehow fell to them at No. 10. I think he's the best OT in the draft and will help shore up the right side of the line.
11. Buffalo - DE Brian Orakpo, Texas
- He's fallen in the last week or so, and I'm not sure why. He is the best pass-rusher in the draft and despite trading Jason Peters, the Bills grab the rusher and will address OT later.
12. Denver - DE/OLB Everette Brown*, Florida St.
- Brown is just a tad behind Orakpo in terms of getting after the QB. The Broncos will not go Josh Freeman here, so they grab a guy who can get after the QB, as Denver's defense was horrible last year.
13. Washington - OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss
- Despite the QB rumors, Oher is too good for the Redskins to pass on. He is a potential franchise LT, but at worst could be a solid RT in the league.
14. New Orleans - CB/S Sean Smith*, Utah
- This is probably the most unrealistic pick of the first round. I'm really high on Smith, but others don't appear to be. He could be a great CB or S, which is what the Saints need.
15. Houston - CB/S Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio St.
- Jenkins is popular choice for the Saints, but I have him falling one more spot to the Texans, who gladly snatch him up.
16. San Diego - RB Chris Wells*, Ohio St.
- Wells is too talented to fall as far as he has in some of my mocks. The Chargers look at the situation and see there's no RT or DB worthy of this pick, so they go with Wells, as Tomlinson is slowing down a bit and Sproles is not the every-down back that is needed.
17. N.Y. Jets - QB Josh Freeman*, Kansas St.
- There's a lot of buzz about the Jets moving up for Sanchez, but I think Freeman's skill set might play better in NY. He has a cannon for an arm and is mobile. The Jets will be happy with this guy.
18. Denver (from CHI) - ILB Rey Maualuga, USC
- Denver continues to improve the defense, as Maualuga is the best pure 3-4 ILB in the draft. He is a force against the run and can get after the QB a little.
19. Tampa Bay - WR Jeremy Maclin*, Missouri
- A top 10 talent, Maclin falls because the Raiders reached for DHB and no other team after the Niners at 10 really need a WR. The Bucs are getting a steal here.
20. Detroit (from DAL) - DE Aaron Maybin*, Penn St.
- He is another get pass-rusher. He may fit better as a 3-4 OLB, but the Lions think he can succeed as a 4-3 DE.
21. Philadelphia - RB Knowshon Moreno*, Georgia
- Moreno may be the most talented back in the draft and will fit perfectly with what the Eagles do. He will also help to keep Brian Westbrook healthy.
22. Minnesota - OT Eben Britton*, Arizona
- This is the pick Minnesota wants and needs. Right tackle has been a problem spot for quite sometime, and Britton would start there from day one.
23. New England - ILB Brian Cushing, USC
- Cushing is versatile and the Pats need to get younger at LB. He fits as a 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB. I think the latter is the best for him.
24. Atlanta - OLB Clay Matthews, USC
- Atlanta is bummed to miss out on Cushing, but are definitely happy to get Matthews here. With the acquisition of Tony Gonzalez, an immediate need for a TE is out the window.
25. Miami - WR Kenny Britt*, Rutgers
- He's big, physical and pretty fast. He would be the perfect compliment to Ted Ginn on the opposite side.
26. Baltimore - TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St.
- I'm jumping on Mike's selection here. The more and more I look at it, the more it makes sense. He didn't have great off-season numbers, but he looks great on tape. Joe Flacco will be pleased.
27. Indianapolis - DT Peria Jerry*, Ole Miss
- The Colts need some beef in the middle, and Jerry is that beef. He will help the interior of the Colts' D-Line immensely.
28. Buffalo (from PHI via CAR) - OT Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma
- This is a bit of a surprise, but not entirely. The trade of Peters leaves a hole at OT, and Loadholt is the second-best pure RT in this draft (A. Smith). The Bills plug him in there and help the offense.
29. N.Y. Giants - WR Hakeem Nicks*, North Carolina
- This pick could ultimately be traded in a Braylon Edwards or Anquan Boldin deal. If it isn't, Nicks would be a great fit for the Giants. He's big and physical, which is what they need to replace Burress.
30. Tennessee - CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
- The Titans had a great defense last year and they look to make it even better. Despite the loss of Haynesworth, the Titans opt to improve the CB position. Smith is a little undersized, but is physical and fast and fits perfectly with Tennessee.
31. Arizona - RB LeSean McCoy*, Pittsburgh
- Edgerrin James' days in 'Zona are numbered and Hightower isn't a franchise RB. McCoy, however, has a chance to be that guy. Look for Arizona to possibly pick up another first-rounder if they trade Boldin.
32. Pittsburgh - DT/DE Jarron Gilbert, San Jose St.
- One of my favorite prospects, Gilbert fits the mold of a 3-4 DE perfectly. If not for a superior talent like Tyson Jackson, Gilbert would be the best one in the draft.

Round 2

33. Detroit - DT Evander Hood, Missouri
34. New England (from KC) - DE/OLB Connor Barwin, Cincinnati
35. St. Louis - MLB James Laurinaitis, Ohio St.
36. Cleveland - DE/OLB Larry English, Northern Illinois
37. Seattle - DE Michael Johnson*, Georgia Tech
38. Cincinnati - C Alex Mack, California
39. Jacksonville - CB Darius Butler, Connecticut
40. Oakland - OT William Beatty, Connecticut
41. Green Bay - CB Vonte Davis, Illinois
42. Buffalo - TE Jared Cook, South Carolina
43. San Francisco - DE/OLB Paul Kruger*, Utah
44. Miami (from WAS) - CB D.J. Moore*, Vanderbilt
45. N.Y. Giants (from NO) - S Patrick Chung, Oregon
46. Houston - RB Andre Brown, North Carolina St.
47. New England (from SD) - S William Moore, Missouri
48. Denver - DT Ron Brace, Boston College
49. Chicago - WR Brian Robiskie, Ohio St.
- After acquiring Jay Cutler, the Bears need to address the WR position. Robiskie is a solid guy who could come in right away and make an impact.
50. Cleveland (from TB) - S Rashad Johnson, Alabama
51. Dallas - S/CB Louis Delmas, Western Michigan
- Delmas might be the best FS in the draft and the Cowboys desperately need help in the defensive backfield. He could also slide down to CB, if needed.
52. N.Y. Jets - WR Percy Harvin*, Florida
53. Philadelphia - WR Derrick Williams, Penn St.
54. Minnesota - WR/QB Pat White, West Virginia
55. Atlanta - DT Fili Moala, USC
56. Miami - OLB Clint Sintim, Virginia
57. Baltimore - WR Juaquin Iglesias, Oklahoma
58. New England - TE Shawn Nelson, Southern Miss
59. Carolina - DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee
- Ayers is a great talent, but I think he's overrated by a lot of the "experts." His character concerns don't help either. Despite that, Carolina, who will look to trade Julius Peppers on draft day, grabs a guy with loads of potential. He's definitely a boom or bust prospect.
60. N.Y. Giants - RB Donald Brown*, Connecticut
61. Indianapolis - WR Jarett Dillard, Rice
62. Tennessee - OG Andy Levitre, Oregon St.
63. Arizona - C Eric Wood, Louisville
64. Pittsburgh - OT/OG Jamon Meredith, South Carolina

Round 3

65. Detroit - OL Max Unger, Oregon
66. St. Louis - OT Fenuki Tupou, Oregon
67. Kansas City - DE/OLB Cody Brown, Connecticut
68. Seattle - OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
69. Dallas (from CLE) - OLB Tyrone McKenzie, South Florida
70. Cincinnati - DT Sen'Derrick Marks*, Auburn
71. Oakland - S Darcel McBath, Texas Tech
72. Jacksonville - DT Chris Baker*, Hampton
73. Green Bay - DE/OLB Lawrence Sidbury, Jr., Richmond
74. San Francisco - WR Ramses Barden, Cal Poly
75. Buffalo - S Chip Vaughn, Wake Forest
76. N.Y. Jets (from NO) - CB Asher Allen*, Georgia
77. Houston - OLB Gerald McRath*, Southern Miss
78. San Diego - DT/DE Ricky Jean-Francois*, LSU
79. Denver - C Antonie Caldwell, Alabama
80. Washington - DE David Veikune, Hawaii
81. Tampa Bay - DT Alex Magee, Purdue
82. Detroit (from DAL) - CB Victor Harris, Virginia Tech
83. Green Bay (from NYJ) - OT Gerald Cadogan, Penn St.
84. Denver (from CHI) - CB Jarius Byrd*, Oregon
85. Philadelphia - TE James Casey, Rice
86. Minnesota - CB Coye Francies, San Jose St.
87. Miami - ILB Scott McKillop, Pittsburgh
88. Baltimore - CB Kevin Barnes, Maryland
89. New England - OG Herman Johnson, LSU
90. Atlanta - DE Matt Shaughnessy, Wisconsin
91. N.Y. Giants - OT Troy Kropog, Tulane
92. Indianapolis - OLB Marcus Freeman, Ohio St.
93. Carolina - DT Dorrell Scott, Clemson
94. Tennessee - WR Mohamed Massaquoi, Georgia
95. Arizona - TE Travis Beckum, Wisconsin
96. Pittsburgh - ILB Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina
97. New England (comp) - CB Mike Mickens, Cincinnati
98. Cincinnati (comp) - RB Rashad Jennings, Liberty
99. Chicago (comp) - S Michael Hamlin, Clemson
100. N.Y. Giants (comp) - OLB Kaluka Maiava, USC

Round 4

101. Dallas (from DET) - WR Brooks Foster, North Carolina
102. Kansas City - RB Shonn Greene*, Iowa
103. St. Louis - CB Sherrod Martin, Troy
104. Cleveland - RB James Davis, Clemson
105. Seattle - CB Keenan Lewis, Oregon St.
106. Cincinnati - DE Brandon Williams*, Texas Tech
107. Jacksonville - OG Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin
108. Miami (from OAK) - DE Kyle Moore, USC
109. Green Bay - TE Cornelius Ingram, Florida
110. Buffalo - C Jonathan Lugis, Arkansas
111. San Francisco - CB Ryan Mouton, Hawaii
112. Houston - WR Austin Collie*, BYU
113. San Diego - S David Burton, Notre Dame
114. Denver - RB Mike Goodson*, Texas A&M
115. N.Y. Jets (from WAS) - TE Chase Coffman, Missouri
116. New Orleans - OLB Nic Harris, Oklahoma
117. Dallas - DE Corvey Irvin, Georgia
118. New Orleans (from NYJ) - DT Terrance Taylor, Michigan
119. Chicago - CB Brandon Underwood, Cincinnati
120. Tampa Bay - RB Cedric Peerman, Virginia
121. Buffalo (from PHI) - RB Javon Ringer, Michigan St.
122. Houston (from MIN) - S Chris Clemons, Clemson
123. Baltimore - ILB Darry Beckwith, LSU
124. New England - OT Jason Watkins, Florida
125. Atlanta - DT Roy Miller, Texas
126. Oakland (from MIA) - DT Vance Walker, Georgia Tech
127. Indianapolis - S Courtney Greene, Rutgers
128. Carolina - CB Domonique Johnson, Jackson St.
129. N.Y. Giants - K Graham Gano, Florida St.
130. Tennessee - DT Terrance Knighton, Temple
131. Arizona - DE/OLB Ian Campbell, Kansas St.
132. Pittsburgh - CB DeAngelo Smith, Cincinnati
133. San Diego (comp) - OT Xavier Fulton, Illinois
134. San Diego (comp) - ILB Jason Phillips, TCU
135. Tennessee (comp) - WR Mike Thomas, Arizona
136. Indianapolis (comp) - OG Trevor Canfield, Cincinnati

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Seahawks picks. We need help on the O-line and DE in the 2nd would be very smart since Kerney could very well go down again and Tapp and Jackson for rotations.

Side note, it would be another nice, easy, low dollar collecting year for me if this holds true. :)

Lol, dream scenario for all my draft talk since 2009 started, will go into more detail in a few minutes here:

My favorite tackle to the 49ers = :cheers:
Tyson Jackson Top 3 = :cheers:
Lesean McCoy = :cheers:

As for the 49ers for 4 rounds
-Definitely a 49er draft with a 3rd round WR taken. Almost a tradition at this point
-Kruger, interesting prospect, high motor guy, could fit well as a rotational guy to start, then a full-timer in a year or two
-Barden is intriguing, and if the 49ers took him, I’d bet they saw something like they liked in a local workout.
-Monroe would rule. From what I heard, 2 teams flunked one of his knee checks/physicals, so him sliding a least a couple picks more than expected is very possible.

Other picks:
-On board with the Sean Smith pick, a great talent to be had
-Glad you found somewhere to put Freeman. Can’t figure that guy out for the life of me (but we know my QB track record of late)
-Rams get a good one in the 3rd with Fenuki. Real versatile.
-Jason Phillips to ILB for the Chargers in the 4th is a great value once he’s 100% (which should be by camp)

-Jairus Byrd to Denver is a good fit, since all of their FA signings won’t pan out. Never works out like it does on paper
-Philly getting Casey in the 3rd fits them pretty well. Philly’s draft as a whole really beefs up their offensive depth.
-I think Houston needed a strong safety, so losing Chung the pick before would absolutely blow. Ouch.
-You’ll crush Ryo1549’s hopes of getting Crabtree to SF if you have Jacksonville take him at 8, since it’d look home free by that point. :LOL:

-So in your opinion, how do the Rams fare with this scenario?

So in your opinion, how do the Rams fare with this scenario?
Not too bad. They miss out on Curry, but make up for it with Laurinaits at the top of the second. They get the right tackle they need, as well as a solid CB in the fourth.

I really like Sanchez -- a lot better than I ever did Leinart or Booty. He's head and shoulders above both of them and I think he could be the guy to lead the Rams, especially in the newly instilled West Coast Offense. The only guy I really don't want the Rams to take is Jason Smith. I'd be fine with Sanchez, Curry or Monroe.

I like it, but Johnson does not fit the mold for Ruskell. He demands players that actually produce in college.

G/DE/S are the biggest needs so a ton of needs are potentially filled.

Not too bad. They miss out on Curry, but make up for it with Laurinaits at the top of the second. They get the right tackle they need, as well as a solid CB in the fourth.

I really like Sanchez -- a lot better than I ever did Leinart or Booty. He's head and shoulders above both of them and I think he could be the guy to lead the Rams, especially in the newly instilled West Coast Offense. The only guy I really don't want the Rams to take is Jason Smith. I'd be fine with Sanchez, Curry or Monroe.

Sanchez's ceiling as a pro-style passer is very high. I'm probably just in the Pete Carroll camp (the first press conference :LOL:), where I wanted to see him back for another year (from a pro standpoint, not as an Arizona fan). Probably let that cloud my judgment on him for this season, but he'll still need the time. The return on investment for him really starts in 2011 for whoever ends up with him. The Rams' timetable probably fits that ideally compared to a lot of other teams/markets that want him.

BTW, disappointed that Vontae wasn't a 49er in the 2nd :) The sideline bitching and moaning between him and Vernon would be comedy gold.

Here are the picks I got right: Either they went exactly where I said or at the exact position in the draft.

1. Detroit - QB Matthew Stafford*, Georgia
3. Kansas City - DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
6. Cincinnati - OT Andre Smith*, Alabama
7. Oakland - WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland
9. Green Bay - DT B.J. Raji, Boston College

17. N.Y. Jets - QB Josh Freeman*, Kansas St.
19. Tampa Bay - WR Jeremy Maclin*, Missouri

29. N.Y. Giants - WR Hakeem Nicks*, North Carolina
35. St. Louis - MLB James Laurinaitis, Ohio St.

Not great. My unwillingness to put Jason Smith at No. 2 kinda screwed things up, lol. However, I'm pretty proud of No. 3, 7 and 35. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back