finally

sliqwill

Veteran
1 (100%)
well, after 14 months as a 'temp' in the hiring pool, I finally got in...now I just go into another hiring pool essentially...different title, better benefits, likely same crappy hours (perhaps even fewer), but out of my office...

hopefully I can pull down a decent amount of hours, but I guess the base is only like 20 a week, if they are 'regular and set' ill get another job on the side so I can have some money...my car has 163,000 miles on it and is an 05, so its about time to get a new one of those, but on 20 hours a week, that wont cut it...a walmart not too far from my office has overnight shifts 6p-2a that are $16+ an hour that seems tempting...but its 32 hour weeks...

start the new office on the 4th, figure after a month ill kinda get the feel of how it is going to be, and then start looking for a second income if it is under 30 hours a week...I cant imaging the work environment being any worse than the one I cam currently in...

Mike

VC15
78 (100%)
Congrats on the new job. Better benefits are always nice. Will you keep the same pay though?

I'm hoping to get our manager's job when he retires this year myself. Same hours but much better pay. I also drive an old vehicle. I drive a '97 Chevy Z71, but no plans on upgrading it. I love my pickup. It's been broken down a few times but it's easy to work on, gets me where I need to go, and it's mine! I say no thanks to a new payment! Ha!

sliqwill

Veteran
1 (100%)
provided I can get 30+ hours a week, not a ton of hours in the office, but it starts the 'career' portion of the postal service, as I have been 'non career' for 14 months...and across the board turnover for non careers is 43%...now I have to wait 12-18 months before I can actually bid on a 'regular' job, where you have a set schedule, so if you work on a non-scheduled day, its considered overtime...have to stay later than your shift says, even if it is a 5 hour shift, its overtime..

I don't think my office does anything on sundays, but I finally qualify for the sunday premium which is a 25% hourly bonus...so I kind of hope we do some sunday stuff...

sliqwill

Veteran
1 (100%)
when my first Saturn got totaled out and I was car shopping, the Toyota dealer was confused as to why I was there...like Toyota is a huge step up from a Saturn...told him I had a friend in high school that had a Toyota with over 235,000 on it and that appealed to me...ended up getting a Saturn since Toyota wasn't interested in my money...

I don't like change as a whole...bought my first car at 17, a 1990 Grand Am with 98,000, then at 19 I bought my 1998 Saturn with 5200 on it, and at 26 I bought my current 05 Saturn with 3 miles on it...

about 6 months ago I finally had to stop using my XP desktop because when the wifi router died, it didn't work with the new one...

sliqwill

Veteran
1 (100%)
met with the new boss today...seems ok, but there aren't going to be many hours...hopefully she can get me in at other offices, because 15-20 hours a week isn't going to cover my expenses, but if I can get a 'set' schedule, ill go out looking for a full time job around those hours...like say if they have me working 7-10a, ill find a noon to 8 somewhere for peanuts to survive, and then just use my postal money to invest and pay insurance...

sliqwill

Veteran
1 (100%)
I have a bs in broadcast journalism...I have no desire to do anything on air, and there is limited opportunity to be strictly behind the scenes, the pay and hours are about what I am doing now, but no stability...

with as crappy as the post office is they do have a pension which is tough to find these days...I also get credit for military service, so lots of pros with it...

I will say after 2 weeks at the new location stress level is way down, which is nice, but I wont see many hours, which is ok, but wont be able to put much back...boss is trying to get us as a passport application office, so I would get some extra hours, but not counting on it anytime soon...

i started in nov 2015 and by nov 2017 my pay will have gone up over 30%...sure, i wont see jumps like that again, but i will be getting 2-4% a year, which isn't great, but its something...

i can transfer in 18 months and hopefully then i can lock up a set schedule for 40 hours a week, as of now i don't have a set schedule and will only see 20-25 hours a week until then, unless i get farmed out to another office...