finally found one im proud of

yeah, I fired the guy a message before hitting the bin...usually when they have that much stuff for that cheap its a 'grab bag' lot...as soon as he responded that it was for everything in the pictures I hit the bin...its crazy that it lasted that long, even being poorly listed...

Is amazing with all the folks out there that look for poorly listed items or the terribly spelled listings where they can't get the name right on the card, and it ends up selling for way less than it should. Know I rarely stumble on those but don't have the time to actively pursue it, but I know other folks that find those steals quite often.

its not so much that I look for misspelled names, its more of having large lots where they don't note the 'big' cards in the title...I figure most of the steal hunters like myself hunt with very similar search terms, also, I think I go after a more stable market, as I go for things typically before 2010, so its not like an injury is going to kill a card, but on the same token, a 200 yard rushing/receiving or 400 passing yard game doesn't do much to the price...

my best lot last year was because the best card in the lot wasn't noted at all, and it was from a very rare set (2002 topps ring of honor), so 'newer' collectors wouldn't know what they were looking at, and a comparable card, a veteran auto of the same player from a National Treasures type set sells for about 1/8th of the card, which wasn't serial numbered...

in years past, ive done my best in mixed sport lots, which is a total pain these days, but ill stumble on a baseball lot in the football section and have enough common sense to check history on a few cards (like the lot that I won with a Moustakas Bowman Chrome Auto and a Cal Ripken TTM/IP auto, in addition to a few cards that were in the $10-$15 SV range, I think I paid $13 for it, sold the Moustakas for $40)...I know I took down a good one a few years ago that had lots of $20-$50 cards that I got for around $300, Shelby Miller Bowman Chrome Auto, Chris Archer Bowman Chrome Gold, Scooter Gennett Blue Auto, Michael Wacha Auto, and Joey Gallo auto...

another big win for me was a couple years back where I found a Fred Taylor 1998 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary /50 hidden in plain sight...nothing in the description about it, and at a glance, most wouldn't know how rare it was...

if I knew more about newer product, I could make a ton more, but the newer product I know well is the Olympic stuff, but its hard to find large lots or poor listings, as so little is listed as it is a small market base...

Back