Final Mock Draft: 1st Round 4/23

sffanmike25

Bench Warmer
Well, the mock drafts aren't as fun anymore now that it isn't such a complete crap shoot. :LOL:

With that said, here's my take on what may happen (not factoring in future trades, just what is official). Notes at the bottom.

1) Detroit Lions - Matthew Stafford, QB, UGA
Hopefully the Lions get this guy signed, I’d hate to miss on the 1st pick. The Lions have the beginning of a core, they need a QB and will likely make Stafford their franchise guy.

2) St. Louis Rams – Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
The Rams got a bit of a preview last year on what life was like without Orlando Pace. That got old pretty quick, so they will get a replacement for the long-term.

3) Kansas City Chiefs – Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
-While Curry is high on everyone’s draft charts, I wouldn’t be shocked if KC went with Monroe here. Curry and Monroe are arguably the two safest picks in the draft, and KC scouts must be loving the trouble of that.

4) Seattle Seahawks – Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
Seattle has has been linked to Sanchez on numerous occasions. Ruskell has denied this talk recently, but it's unclear who is telling the truth at this point. All I remember is that being linked to a QB in the media is a complete pain in the neck.

5) Cleveland Browns – Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
While Orakpo and Monroe are tempting, they go with Crabtree because at some point, they can’t strip down the offense anymore without some sort of return. Orakpo is probably the 2nd option here with Mangini running the show.

6) Cincinnati Bengals – Eugene Monroe, OT, UVA
The Bengals have needs on the offensive line at Tackle and Center. They go into the draft prepared to draft Andre Smith, but find the higher rated, safer pick in Monroe waiting for them.

7) Oakland Raiders – Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
You have to give Jamarcus a chance to succeed in the passing game. Maclin is a step towards him realizing what he can of his potential. If Cleveland goes defense, then this pick could potentially be Crabtree.

8) Jacksonville Jaguars – Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
Khalif Barnes is gone. The Jaguars have seen the tape, and kept a close eye on what has gone on with Smith. They’ll take the chance that he still has that #1 overall potential.

9) Green Bay Packers – B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
Rather than watch and worry as Ryan Pickett assumes the NT position, the Packers decide to make a preemptive move on that concern and draft the physical Raji.

10) San Francisco 49ers – Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
The 49ers need to beef up the pressure on the QB, so this pick makes that possible. Some doubt if he’s a 3 down player, but even if he isn’t, the combination of Orakpo and the 49ers D will put some heat on the QB. If he is taken by Cleveland, you'll see a WR slide to or past the 49ers.

11) Buffalo Bills – Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
As a result of the Jason Peters trade, the Bills have a glaring need at tackle they would like to fill. After sweating out the 49ers’ selection (who also are rumored to be looking at OT’s), they are able to get the physically gifted Oher.

12) Denver Broncos – Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
Denver needs a “5 technique” end for their newly implemented 3-4 defensive scheme. Obviously this is one of “my” players, for those who have been following along, but scouts and the media agree he’s a top tier guy. I think I’ve placed him fairly based on need and value.

13) Washington Redskins – Aaron Maybin, DE, PSU
Not exactly what some Redskins fans want, but with an already solid core of players, they can transition him in patiently. Huge potential reward for the long-term.

14) New Orleans Saints – Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
I’m not really buying some of the character concerns on him, as every CB in the NFL is either lazy, sloppy, injury-prone or some sort of egomaniac. The Saints have 2 serviceable CB’s already in Greer and Porter, so they’ll work towards making that a strength for the long-term.

15) Houston Texans – Malcolm Jenkins, CB/S, THE OSU
The Texans will find a place to use a football player like Jenkins, whether it is at FS/CB. However, this BPA pick does little to help them stop the run, which is also a concern they’ll need address in the 2nd with a SS or LB.

16) San Diego Chargers – Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
Cushing’s skill set fits an inside spot in San Diego’s 3-4 defense. The Chargers watch their division opponent take their prime need in DE Tyson Jackson, but they’ll make due with Kevin Burnett and a developmental DE in the 3rd (their next pick). AJ Smith isn't afraid to go off a gut feeling though, so the Chargers might not draft for need here.

17) New York Jets – Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
The Jets don’t take a QB, and instead will either figure that out later in the 2nd round, or watch and see what goes on with other teams who have newly expendable QB’s.

18) Denver Broncos – Everette Brown, OLB, Florida State
Denver has addressed its run defense concerns a bit with Tyson Jackson, now it will get back to the pass rush, taking a wildcard of a pick in Brown as a 3-4 OLB. If this “upside” pick pans out, Denver should have a noticeable improvement from last year.

19) Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
The Bucs need a defensive end, and Ayers is the best one available. Should pay dividends very soon for Tampa.

20) Detroit Lions – Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
Having addressed the QB position, the Lions will start to add up the middle with Jerry taking over for Cory Redding (stepping in next to Grady Jackson). The Lions will continue looking for pieces to shore up their defensive inefficiencies.

21) Philadelphia Eagles – Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
While there are other options for the Eagles, and the Eagles could spend a mid round pick on a RB, isn’t that what they always do? After scoring on Buckhalter and Westbrook with this strategy early in the decade, it has failed since 2004, squandering 3rd-5th round picks on a regular basis. Time to try something new.

22) Minnesota Vikings – Eben Britton, OT, Arizona
The Vikings take a versatile offensive tackle in Eben Britton to keep that run game flowing smooth.

23) New England Patriots – Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
This pick makes too much sense, which is why it worries me. New England is usually trickier than this, but I think they will continue to re-tool their aging defensive LB’s here. With KC’s 2nd rounder, they’ll have a number of options worth looking into in 10 picks or so.

24) Atlanta Falcons – Clay Matthews, OLB, USC
Don’t put away the USC tape just yet. Atlanta, now not in need of a Tight End, will make this move for some extra linebacker help.

25) Miami Dolphins – Sean Smith, DB, Utah
Still can’t get away from this pick. Will let this ride even though he might just end up going to Miami at the top of the 2nd.

26) Baltimore Ravens – Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
The Ravens look at the board and can’t find a linebacker or CB that justifies the pick’s worth, so they focus their attention on the best player available. Pack your bags Todd Heap.

27) Indianapolis Colts – Evander Hood, DT, Mizzou
The Colts lack inside DT help. Unless you want to pretend that Keyunta Dawson is going to collapse the pocket and suffocate the run game. Then draft another WR or RB.

28) Buffalo Bills – Alex Mack, C, California
Buffalo is not happy with what has gone on here, missing out on Pettigrew, so they will get Marshawn Lynch’s old teammate Alex Mack to get the line moving. Their line gains an exponential amount of strength as a result of Oher and Mack. Trent Edwards plays 16 games? Crazy possibility in this scenario. The Bills will address DE and RB depth as the rounds move along.

29) New York Giants – Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
Getting a strong WR target back in the fold is key for the Giants, and Britt has that kind of ability. They have a good feel for Britt’s value having worked him out locally.

30) Tennessee Titans – Hakeem Nicks, WR, UNC
This is going to go bad when you give the Titans a wide receiver and the Eagles a RB in the 1st. Maybe the Titans reason for passing up Torry Holt is because they brought in so many WR’s to scout... AND actually liked one of them. Still expect to get this pick wrong.

31) Arizona Cardinals – Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
The Cardinals take the best running back available at this point in the draft. Wells’ running style fits what is expected of Arizona RB’s.

32) Pittsburgh Steelers – Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
The Steelers sit and wait forever for their pick to come up, and they don’t waste time finding a nice CB in Smith.

Notes:
While I have a feeling that Freeman will slide past the Jets 1st round pick, I think they'll come back and get him at some point from their 2nd round pick. But in a non-trade Mock, I can only speculate it'll be to picks 23, 24, 26, 28 or 31. If not at the top of the 2nd.

Next 10 or so players to go: Freeman, Laurinitis, English, Robiskie, D. Brown, Beatty, Unger, Harvin, Delmas, Barwin, Michael Johnson.

Great effort, Mike. I'm not sure I see the Ravens going TE, but it wouldn't be the worst pick in the world.

I think Davis is a little high (wait until you see my mock). Overall, good job. :)

I'll post at least a four-rounder tomorrow.

Great effort, Mike. I'm not sure I see the Ravens going TE, but it wouldn't be the worst pick in the world.

I think Davis is a little high (wait until you see my mock). Overall, good job. :)

I'll post at least a four-rounder tomorrow.

Yeah, I referenced that in Davis' description. I think a team or two might be weighing down his value playing up his character issues. He has a taker in the top 25, IMO.

Ravens going TE has a cause. Leaves 2 options. First, the Boldin trade door is open (Heap + future 1st, etc.). Second, they can rack up a mean 2 TE set for the year, and then let Heap walk. It's a BPA, looking down the line approach, but it's a deep LB draft, they'll get their Scott replacement soon after.

Wanted to post a disaster draft, with Crabtree falling to 10, Moreno getting picked by SD, and then Wells to Philly, and Donald Brown to AZ. But I couldn't bring myself to make that the final one. ;)

Your 4 rounder should be an interesting read. :salut:

Bucs won't be taking freeman, at least not in round one. I truly hope seattle doesn't take sanchez, not that we don't need to groom a future qb but would rather take a stud OT.

Back