Football Favre tells Vikings he will not play

bjtheman1

Bench Warmer
In a shocking development, Brett Favre(notes) apparently will not play this season.

Reports say that Favre has informed several Vikings players that he will not be joining them this season. It is not clear if he has told the team whether he plans to honor the second year of a two-year contract that would pay him $13 million this season if he played.

Favre, who turns 41 on Oct. 10, apparently sent text messages to several teammates saying, "This is it."

Although neither the team nor Bus Cook, Favre's agent, has confirmed the reports, a press conference has been called for Tuesday.

Last season, Favre told the Vikings he would join the team right after the completion of training camp and arrived at the team's Eden Prairie, Minn., facility with a circus of attention. Many assumed he would return in a similar fashion this year.

Favre had a marvelous season in 2009, coming out of retirement to take the Vikings all the way to the NFC title game. But the Vikings lost, with Favre getting intercepted in overtime, and he suffered a beating in the game.

One of the injuries he suffered in the game, an ankle that required surgery this offseason, apparently has not healed enough for Favre to continue playing in a 20th season.

The Vikings now likely would turn to Tarvaris Jackson(notes), although Sage Rosenfels(notes) also has starting experience and could vie for the job.

This marks the third time Favre has announced his retirement, first with the Packers following the 2007 season and then again after one season with the Jets in '08.

oh crap no i seriously hope he comes back cuz i live in Minnesota and since he joined the team i have finall benn interested in watching them

the TEXT that he sent everyone said....

"THIS IS IT"

maybe that means THIS season... is it...

also...

"THIS IS IT" is the same thing Michael Jackson said before his last string of concerts.... coincidence? LOL

I think it is funny that this comes during HOF week when the coverage usually goes to the former greats that are entering the Hall. The NFL Network had scheduled a bunch of programming on the HOF and the players getting inducted this year and now the spot light shifts to Favre. He couldn't have waited another week for this.

I'll believe the news when I see Favre not playing when the season begins, heck he could even return midseason if he feels ok.lol

Oh man ESPN will be unwatchable for a week. I bet they will rerun the top 10 favre moments and substitute in a vikings one or 2.

BTW sell Harvins now before it is official. His stats will be garbage

wheeler281 said:
Oh man ESPN will be unwatchable for a week. I bet they will rerun the top 10 favre moments and substitute in a vikings one or 2.

BTW sell Harvins now before it is official. His stats will be garbage
you think so i have one but he did so good that i dont know if i want to sell it or not now i really want brett to come back

God,looks like this jacka$$ is after nothing but more money. He's trying to get a 3 year extension,and the Vikes have offered him a $3 million dollar raise plus incentives for this season

JUST GO AWAY YOU ATTENTION SEEKING WHORE

I hope he comes back for nothing more to see the Saints finish the beating they laid on him in the NFC title game

ESPN's Ed Werder is reporting that Favre will play if healthy and he will see Dr. James Andrew next week.

I wish he'd blow out his acl so we wouldn't have to put up with this crap anymore. They did a poll on Fox 4 news last night about this and 45% voted they were tired of Favre and his BS

Do you really think Favre gives a crap about the media? The media is to blame here , not Favre. Favre is doing what he has done for the past 4 years and that is exaclty whatever he wants to, which is a sweet gig , if you can get it. If every piece of media in this country turned away from Favre, he would still be doing, what he is doing...Just because the guy has been media friendly in the past, don't mean they have to follow him around and count the peanuts in his doo doo..The media needs to fall back!...who cares if he comes back or not.

OilMan said:
Do you really think Favre gives a crap about the media? The media is to blame here , not Favre. Favre is doing what he has done for the past 4 years and that is exaclty whatever he wants to, which is a sweet gig , if you can get it. If every piece of media in this country turned away from Favre, he would still be doing, what he is doing...Just because the guy has been media friendly in the past, don't mean they have to follow him around and count the peanuts in his doo doo..The media needs to fall back!...who cares if he comes back or not.

I'm sick of the lovefest. Both sides need to stop.

Back