Family asks UConn to honor Howard by playing

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
The family of slain UConn cornerback Jasper Howard says it is confident his killer will be brought to justice.

Howard's stepfather, Henry Williams, spoke to reporters Tuesday. He expressed gratitude for the outpouring of love and support the family has received from the Connecticut community after Howard was stabbed to death early Sunday morning outside a university-sponsored dance.

Williams says Howard, who was 20, loved UConn and considered the team his second family. He is asking UConn players to take a moment to grieve, and then play the rest of the season for his son.

"We have a lot of pain," Williams said. "We still have hurt, but we can go on now feeling a little better because a lot of our questions have been answered. The captain of the state police told me, 'The case will be solved,' and I believe him."

Howard's mother, Joangila, did not speak, and had to leave the room during Williams' remarks when she was overcome with emotion.

Funeral services were tentatively set for Monday in Florida and UConn coach Randy Edsall said the team will attend.

Edsall, speaking at his weekly pregame news conference, said the Huskies will wear a sticker with Howard's initials on their helmets for the rest of the season and will carry his helmet or jersey to away games.

The coach said he doesn't know if the two teammates who helped Howard after he was stabbed and bleeding will play when the Huskies play West Virginia this weekend. "I'll honor whatever decision they want to make," he said.

Howard's mother visited players on Monday, Edsall said, and his uncle, a former Miami police officer, advised them not to seek revenge.

The Mountaineers also will wear stickers, with Howard's No. 6, on their helmets. Edsall said there will be a moment of silence before the game, and both teams will embrace in a pregame handshake.

At Clemson, cornerback Chris Chancellor -- who played with Howard for two seasons at Miami Edison Senior High -- will wear No. 6 in honor of his former teammate.

Chancellor had asked Tigers coach Dabo Swinney if he could switch to Howard's number Saturday instead of his usual No. 38 when Clemson takes on No. 8 Miami.

Police say Howard was stabbed to death, and another player suffered minor injuries, during a fight outside the dance early Sunday.

Edsall, however, said that although there may have been some "verbal jostling," he has not been told that any of his players were fighting with anyone.

"When I hear fight, I usually think of people throwing fists," Edsall said. "I haven't got that information. Now young kids, could it be verbal jostling, yeah.

"I don't know of anybody that has substantiated [the fighting]. Now, I think anytime you probably get 300 people together sometimes there probably is going to be some verbal jostling going on."

Nobody has been charged with the stabbing, and UConn police said Tuesday there were no new developments in the investigation.

Hartford attorney Devon Freeman said he represents a man whose home has been searched in connection with the fight. The man, whom Freeman would not identify, and several others got into a fight "with about six" UConn football players early Sunday. Freeman said his client did not stab Howard but was present when Howard was mortally wounded.

Freeman said Monday that police told his client that he and others would be arrested, but on Tuesday Freeman said he didn't know when or if charges would be filed.

Police on Tuesday were asking for the public's help in gathering evidence in the killing, particularly from people who may have taken photos or videos of the fight. The violence broke out just after a fire alarm went off in a student center, forcing around 300 people to evacuate from the dance.

Students held a day of silence on Tuesday, while the Black Student Association has asked everyone on campus to wear dark clothing Tuesday to indicate that the university is united in mourning.

There will be a candlelight vigil Wednesday on campus.

One person has been charged in connection with the fight. Johnny Hood, 21, of Hartford, was arraigned Monday on charges of interfering with an officer and breach of peace. But he has not been charged in Howard's death, and police haven't named a suspect.

Hood is being represented by Freeman's brother, Justin Freeman. Justin Freeman said his client was "at the wrong place at the wrong time," and did not even know a homicide had occurred.

Edsall said at least two other players were present and tried in vain to save Howard's life.

Howard was a junior who had gone to UConn to get away from the violence on the streets of his hometown of Miami. He was the first in his family to go to college.

The stabbing came less than 12 hours after UConn's 38-25 homecoming victory over Louisville. Howard, Connecticut's starting cornerback, was credited with 11 tackles and forced a third-quarter fumble inside the Huskies' 5-yard line with Connecticut holding a 21-13 lead.

Back