Everyone loves "HITS", but how many of you still do Base Sets?

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
Everyday, on every site, you see collectors posting up their latest hits.

Everyday, you see collectors asking for that final card so they can complete their rainbow.

Everyday, you see collectors asking for autographs and game-used of one special team or player.

How many of us still do base sets? No bells and whistles, just a good ol' set of base cards?

I have been doing the A&G base set since 2006 and am currently trying to finish up the 2014 Tribute base set. No "hits", just base cards.

What base sets are you working on?

I am currently working on Topps football base sets from 1989 and earlier that I can place in binders an look at. I will go back as far as financially makes sense. Currently I am working on 1983 Topps. I will most likely use a modern insert or replica for key rookies that book over $20ish. (I stole this thought from one of CamaroD's posts about his baseball sets.) I have a solid base of football cards that will give me between 70% and 99% of sets back to 1969 or so.

When those years are organized I will pick up from 2002 or so and go forward with Topps base sets. I have been buying two or three hobby boxes of Topps base cards over the last ten or twelve years with the intention of putting sets together. That should give me a great start. I think it will be fun to open them when I finally get around to it.

I have boxed sets of either factory or had collated from 1983 to 2001 I believe, but I wanted to put sets in binders to I could look and them and show them to my kids, if they find an interest. It also serves the purpose of inventorying my collection.

I still go after some base as well...but it's all older stuff. Either sets I collected as a kid from the 1990s that I really liked or vintage. My most recent "base" completed project was a complete 1967 Topps football set.

Speaking of base sets...I have had this reoccurring thought lately to work on one. When I was a kid, one of my dad's best friends (Joe) briefly owned a sports card shop. This was in the early 1990s and he promptly ran it into the ground. Poor timing and poor business sense I assume. Anyway, he had left over inventory and he would occasionally give us boxes of old football cards. I remember 1988 and 1989 Topps wax boxes. 1989 for some reason, sticks out in my mind.

Those cards are long gone, but the memory is still nice. I have been thinking it might be a fun escape to purchase an unopened 1989 Topps box and try and assemble a base set. 1989 Topps literally had no good cards...I think the "key cards" of the set are the rookies cards for Brian Bosworth and Mark Rypien. A box can be bought on eBay for around $25 shipped. I have been thinking it might be a fun project for one of these days.

The sad thing is, I can buy a complete set for far cheaper than a box costs...but a box sounds like a fun nostalgic project. I can always pickup any missing cards later on.

Back