Football Does Anyone Collect Low Grade Sets?

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
Today I made a rather large order (for me) from COMC...mostly random singles that add to about 10 different sets/projects I'm working on. That includes me completing my 1978 Topps football set (unless I miscounted). So, once they arrive I think I will have a complete 1978 Topps set!

In addition to the cards that fit into various sets and projects...I ordered a common low grade 1965 Topps football card. I have always wanted one of the "tallboy" cards, I've never even seen one in person. As someone who likes to collect vintage football sets...the 1965 Topps set has been somewhat of a dream due to it's high cost. However, a part of me has always wanted to put together a lower grade vintage set. I always assumed it would be a baseball set (1955 Topps or something)...but a lower grade but decent eye appeal 1965 Topps set might be fun for a long term project.

Any thoughts on something like this?

Here is the common that I picked up:

PZJhUmP.jpg

I know a few people that collect low grade vintage, just because of the money factor. No mattter what year, if it's vintage... a graded card can cost an arm and a leg (even a low graded card... in the case of the T206 Tobacco Cards!), so why not build a set of low graded/ungraded cards... and as the money becomes available you can always upgrade! Unless it's a Wagner T206... then forget it... those are way to expensive!

Go figure, I have that card. As a matter of fact, I have the whole NY Jets team set, including the checklist, except card #122 Joe Namath. Sad story...My wife promised me a copy when we got married. True to her word, that's exactly what I got, when she found out just how expensive it was. lol Maybe someday!

Go figure, I have that card. As a matter of fact, I have the whole NY Jets team set, including the checklist, except card #122 Joe Namath. Sad story...My wife promised me a copy when we got married. True to her word, that's exactly what I got, when she found out just how expensive it was. lol Maybe someday!
LOL, I think if my wife knew what a real Namath costs...I might get a copy too.

Actually, I picked this card because it's a Jets QB...and if I ever do complete the set I will tell people the first card I got in the set was "the Jets QB." :D

Back