Do You Have a White Whale

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
Do you have one card that just never seems to come your way. That one card that you would probably pay far more than anyone else if you ever came across it. I would imagine that we all have one card just like that. I certainly do. I thought it would be fun to see what other people's dream card is. Here's mine:

1999 Upper Deck Encore F/X Gold #11 Tony Graziani 1/1

Tony Graziani is among my all-time favorite players. He was one of the starting QBs for the Oregon Ducks in my childhood. After a brief stint with the Falcons and in NFL Europe he found a lot of success in the Arena League. I have the majority of his cards...but his sole 1/1 alludes me. Chances are I will never find it...but just like Captain Ahab I keep searching for my White Whale.

Just as an example, here is the F/X parallel of the card. This card exists in 3 versions. An unnumbered base,
the F/X parallel /100, and the F/X Gold parallel 1/1. Below is the F/X parallel.

Not as rare as your 1 of 1, I am looking for a Shawna Robinson 2002 Trackside Golden G29 #/50. Yes there are 50 of them... but none have came on the market since 2002, and back then I couldn't see dropping $50-plus for the card when I could get her autograph for half that. Anyways... I need one for the PC... and while it might not be considered a white whale... it has been a thorn in my side!

Hey man...any card can be a white whale if you can't seem to find it. The card I posted is my #1 most wanted...but I have several that I'm always looking for.

I'll give you a great example of one that shouldn't be hard but is. I am currently 5 cards short of having every Tony Graziani ever produced. One of the cards I am missing is a common unnumbered parallel that should not be a problem...but for the life of me I cant find one. It's a $0.50 card at most. I cannot find a 1998 Pacific Red #23.

The 1998 Pacific set had two parallels. The common Red and the uncommon Platinum Blue. I have a Platinum Blue...it was easy to find. There are a couple of those online right now for around $2. Can't find the Red for the life of me.

Will post a pic later. I have a 2005 Absolute Memorabilia Tools of the Trade, Reverse Black 6 Swatch Henderson 1/1.

Hey man...any card can be a white whale if you can't seem to find it. The card I posted is my #1 most wanted...but I have several that I'm always looking for.

I'll give you a great example of one that shouldn't be hard but is. I am currently 5 cards short of having every Tony Graziani ever produced. One of the cards I am missing is a common unnumbered parallel that should not be a problem...but for the life of me I cant find one. It's a $0.50 card at most. I cannot find a 1998 Pacific Red #23.

The 1998 Pacific set had two parallels. The common Red and the uncommon Platinum Blue. I have a Platinum Blue...it was easy to find. There are a couple of those online right now for around $2. Can't find the Red for the life of me.
Sometimes the lower priced (commons) are harder to find years later, As many times they wind up in junk boxes, or a big box of so called worthless commons, and most people don't want to waste the time to list a card that they might only realize .25 or .50 on a transaction. They would rather sell a box of 5000 commons so at least they make a few dollars from their efforts.

Sometimes the lower priced (commons) are harder to find years later, As many times they wind up in junk boxes, or a big box of so called worthless commons, and most people don't want to waste the time to list a card that they might only realize .25 or .50 on a transaction. They would rather sell a box of 5000 commons so at least they make a few dollars from their efforts.

You're right. Often they are hard to find. I would have thought that with sites like eBay, Beckett Marketplace and COMC...one would have come up over the last several years but no such luck. Two of the cards I need are unnumbered cards...I have never seen either one.

One card I've been searching for, for a while is 1991 Wild Card Draft set card #146 1000 stripe Tim James, a strong safety out of Colorado. The last card I need to complete my NY Jets team draft set.

One card I've been searching for, for a while is 1991 Wild Card Draft set card #146 1000 stripe Tim James, a strong safety out of Colorado. The last card I need to complete my NY Jets team draft set.
I love the old 1000 stripe cards. I have a couple of them...but they can sure be a challenge.

I have a couple of white whales... in fact, I could probably put a top 5 together... and they are not all cards...

1- 1999 Topps Stadium Club Co-Signers #CS42 - Scott Spiezio / Tony Womack / Fernando Vina / Quilvio Veras AU, A - Oakland Athletics / Pittsburgh Pirates / Milwaukee Brewers / San Diego Padres

I've seen this once on Ebay, lost out on the bid. My biggest White Whale from my collection of Scott Speizio cards.

2- 2000 Pacific Prism Tom Brady

Still compiling this set, I have 45 cards to go, but this Brady card is going to make it very expensive. Only 1000 of them made, so they're out there, but they are going anywhere from $150-700 on Ebay currently. Just going to have to bite the bullet eventually.

3- 1999 Fleer Flair Preview #29 Errict Rhett

Not a big name, don't think it's overly rare, but just not around a lot... think I saw one on Burbank Sportscards at one time. Last card I need to complete the set.

4- Al Kaline autographed ball

Ok, but it's a very specific ball... my father caught a foul ball from Al Kaline at old Comiskey Park back in 1971. I still have it. I've thought about sending it in the mail as he's a pretty good signer, but don't want to lose it. I'm hoping he'll be at the National this summer, then I can get it in person.

5- 1966 Batman Black Bat #1-The Batman

These are around, too, but they run around $100 for a copy in mint condition. My son decided to try and collect this set of 55... it'll be fun to get put together.

The Kaline ball that your father caught would be an awesome addition to the PC IF, you can get it signed in person! I'd be afraid that it might be replaced with a newer ball by whoever opens his mail... plus, I think seeing him sign it would add that much more to the story!

And the 1966 Batman... holy toldeo batman!... $100 for a mint copy.. who would have thought it? Hope you can find it at a much lower price... but again, if it's a PC item for the son.. it would be well worth it.

4- Al Kaline autographed ball

Ok, but it's a very specific ball... my father caught a foul ball from Al Kaline at old Comiskey Park back in 1971. I still have it. I've thought about sending it in the mail as he's a pretty good signer, but don't want to lose it. I'm hoping he'll be at the National this summer, then I can get it in person.
I tried to send a ball to Kaline TTM and he came back unsigned...he didn't even open the package (I even included $20). Wrote "refused to accept" on it in a big black sharpe. From what I have read, he can be challenging TTM. I have heard he is a bit moody and not super accomidating to fans.

You might be able to do it TTM if you send him a letter first, explain your story and get his permission to send it. Or, try and get it in person like you mentioned. If you told him the story of how your dad caught it...I'm sure he'd sign it.

Back