Coming up, OLD school box break: 04 Sweet Spot, 04 Certified, 99 Ovation

WestCoastSkinsFan

Prospect
Transactions: 5
With the $40 eBay gift card I won right here on Trading Card Zone, I was inspired to look at sealed boxes of cards for a good deal.

I ended up going a little crazy though. I got a really good deal on one box, but the shipping was a little high. I noticed that combined shipping would make things much better. So instead of one good deal, I got THREE good deals. The line-up is...

-2004 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Football Hobby: Great rookie class, with a shot at rookie autos like Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, Fitzgerald. Great veteran autos like Joe Montana, Marino, Favre, Peyton Manning and Staubach. AND, shots at Sean Taylor rookies. Couldn't pass it up!

-2004 Leaf Certified Materials Football Hobby: Same great rookie class, but also shots at 1/1 Shields, and an even deeper veteran auto group including almost all of the names above, AND Barry Sanders, Tom Brady, Brian Urlacher, Reggie White, Hines Ward and Jim Kelly.

-1999 Upper Deck Ovation Football Hobby: This one could be anything. I don't think ANY autos or GU are guaranteed, but we have Holy Grail type hits, including Walter Payton on-card autos live in this product.

From everything I've seen, I got these all for WAY under market value. Definitely looking forward to breaking them! I'll be posting the results (including any pictures of big hits) right here on TCZ!

Last edited:
Sweet! Good to know what you used the prize money on and can't wait to see what you get. Good luck, sir!

its crazy how one guy getting hot can drive the price up...at the National the summer before Favre was replaced by Rodgers, you could get Topps Chrome boxes for $26...

the 04 Sweet Spot probably has a couple goofy rookies that sell well because they aren't in any other sets...they don't get as goofy as an SP Authentic but people do get a little nutty...I think there are what 2 autos per box on the 04 Sweet Spot...not a huge fan of the 04 LCM, I like 05 and 06 much better in terms of design, a fun leaf break is Longevity from 04 and 05, I don't think its terribly expensive either...I cant think of much in that 99 Ovation, as a whole the 99 draft class was a flop

and 'old' breaks are a blast, a couple years back at the National, I split a box of 86 Donruss with a friend, I think it was $10 or $15

Well, the break is done. And I have to say, it was pretty awesome. Not often that I mention names to talk about some of the big hit potential... and then I hit them. Recap coming up in a moment!

First, let's start with 99 Ovation (which is where I started, too).

Sadly, this was a bit of a bust. No autos, no GU. No really big names. Best thing out of here was a Donovan McNabb RC. But, still, the chance to hit something huge was here. It's just not going to happen every time.

Next, I went to 2004 Sweet Spot. A lot of no-names rookies, but the autos and GU were quite good. Let's start with the first auto, and the GU...

75ea2ac9-2181-4e80-b626-2652bb38f295_zps68a16f52.jpg

For 04 Certified, it started off REALLY slow. I've broken a lot of older Certified (mainly 05) so I know the autos used to be tougher hits, but I was hoping for a little more to start with.

68c3f79e-e277-43a7-a396-d6ac7931f6a1_zps02b3f5c5.jpg

The Price came out first, and that just gave me bad fantasy football memories. The Jamal Lewis was okay, but he hasn't been relevant in some time. The Greenwood was the obvious hit of the three here, but it's still not the card you aspire to hit, admittedly.

But then...

991bb96f-d619-464b-90b2-045cc9cd4bed_zpse86f0b65.jpg

Literally the last pack of the break. Only him being in a 49ers jersey could have made it better, but still, an awesome hit. Especially #/60!

Two HOF QB autos in one break. I haven't had one this good in a LONG time!

Back