Register or log in to remove this ad.

Collecting opinions...

Reiji

The DR Guy
Hello,

My reason for this post is that I will develop my business website in the next weeks (after I finish TCG's Portal and other projects)...I want to come out of the box with something cool yet professional.

Since in this forum there are a lot of different people from different places, ages and opinions, I'd like to know what do you see on a commercial webpage.

What does catch your attention? What do you find useful? What makes you turn around and go away? What do you want to see when you enter a web design/development company website?

This information is very important for me, please be as detailed as possible. If you would like me to prepare a survey better.

I hope for colaboration and participation.

Well, I'm listening...

Oh, and thanks. :D

lumm0x

Rookie
For me...initial simplicity. Great beginning eye appeal with a very user friendly interface to find what you want with a ton of information, perhaps little video clip tutorials, flash media walkthroughs after the fact. Come in showy and simplistic and gradually get more info intensive.

ReinholdMessner1

Bench Warmer
I like for there to be 2 versions of a site.

1. The shiny multimedia version for when I'm at home on my hi-speed connection and have time to sit and play around

2. The lo-res, hi-content version for when I'm on my smartphone on the road and I just want to get some basic info quickly

Sites like Ebay and ESPN do both well and I rely on both of them constantly.

Also, if you are selling something, I like a site to have some kind of a wish list function so I can pick what I want and then email it to people who might need gift ideas.

C

cspears22

For me...initial simplicity. Great beginning eye appeal with a very user friendly interface to find what you want with a ton of information, perhaps little video clip tutorials, flash media walkthroughs after the fact. Come in showy and simplistic and gradually get more info intensive.

My thoughts exactly.

G

Greenlantern

1. Clean, uncluttered layout
2. Simple navigation
3. Professional quality images and photos
4. Well written prose and text
5. Contact information: business address, phone, and email

I

indy_jones

No popups.
No spam.
No viruses.
No cookies.
Registration required only for purchasing, not viewing.

:shifty:

andy

Collector Planet Original
Firefox compatible
Simple at splash
More hi res inside
Dialup version of site
Interactivity is nice - even if just mouse over
Clean and clear navigation

Reiji

The DR Guy
No popups.
No spam.
No viruses.
No cookies.
Registration required only for purchasing, not viewing.

:shifty:

An online portfolio should not have anything of that. So mine will not.

Firefox compatible
Simple at splash
More hi res inside
Dialup version of site
Interactivity is nice - even if just mouse over
Clean and clear navigation

Exactly what I will do... :D That's my idea of a good website aswell.

I have some questions...

Do clients really care of the "about" section?

I want to have a lof of relevant information on each of my clients in my portfolio, do you feel with more security if you know why and how some people trusted me?

Do you need a list and a description of the services I can do? Or do the portfolio and past works catch your eye on the site?

And last but not least, do you need a "home" section with a little introduction to the other sections of the site? Like a little block for about me, but another one for the portfolio (most recent project maybe?)...the question here may be...do you want/like/need a "home" or the "about" section will do?

Thanks for your answers so far, I really appreciate it.

andy

Collector Planet Original
An online portfolio should not have anything of that. So mine will not.

Exactly what I will do... :D That's my idea of a good website aswell.

I have some questions...

Do clients really care of the "about" section?

I want to have a lof of relevant information on each of my clients in my portfolio, do you feel with more security if you know why and how some people trusted me?

Do you need a list and a description of the services I can do? Or do the portfolio and past works catch your eye on the site?

And last but not least, do you need a "home" section with a little introduction to the other sections of the site? Like a little block for about me, but another one for the portfolio (most recent project maybe?)...the question here may be...do you want/like/need a "home" or the "about" section will do?

Thanks for your answers so far, I really appreciate it.

About section is nice to have, I think samples as well as text about what you can do.

bamasa37sb34

Bench Warmer
Didn't read everything, so sorry in advance if I've added some useless comments.

When at a commercial website, my major pet peeve is a useless search feature. Just something simple that'll show what I want when I do a search for a certain product, not 12 trillion things that *could* be related to what I want.

Also, a clean design, no clutter with a bunch of crazy animations that take forever to load. I'm a simple guy, so I don't need a bunch of random B.S. on a website. Just whatever is being sold and easy to find.

Another thing I like is catagories that clearly break down. Some sites seem to have too many catagories where it is too hard to navigate to what I'm looking for.

Offering free booze with every purchase is also a plus, haha! It might be illegal, but hey, what the hell:lollol: