Chipper Jones in HOF?

redandpewter55

Bench Warmer
A friend and I were talking about whether or not Chipper Jones would be in the HOF if he were to retire today. What does everyone here think? If not, what does he have to do to be qualified to get in?

This probably isn't the best place to ask because there are a lot of Chipper/Braves haters here. :doh:

ESPN had one stating in and the other two stated he needed a few more seasons.

As someone who is neutral on the Braves (depends on who they play)....

Chipper doesn't pass the name test, I dont think Chipper as an HoFer immediately. Smoltz and Glavine yes...

Im guessing he'll make it but it will take some time after he retires.

Lets just say he has the credetntials to get in, but it would have helped his cause a lot more if his hand was heavier by a few rings....

Lets just say he has the credetntials to get in, but it would have helped his cause a lot more if his hand was heavier by a few rings....

I agree with this statement. As Chipper is a solid player and a dedicated player. I think he will eventually get in just not on the first ballot. Kind of like Dale Murphy.

if Dale Murphy is not in then Chipper should not get in.

I also would like to see how Jeff Bagwell fares as well.

He could get back on track but he keeps getting injuries year after year. Right now I would say no, but if he has another 5 solid years I could say yes.

if Dale Murphy is not in then Chipper should not get in.

I also would like to see how Jeff Bagwell fares as well.
I love Dale Murphy and think he should be in, but look at what he did compaired to Chipper.

Dale:

1197 Runs
2111 Hits
398 HR
1266 RBI
.265 AVG
.346 OBP
2 MVP
1 NL Championship
0 WS

Chipper:

1225 Runs
2005 Hits
369 HR
1224 RBI
.305 AVG
.402 OBP
1 MVP
3 NL Championships
1 WS

Dale wasn't much better than Chipper and Dale has played 4 more years than Chipper and chipper has Dale beat in the postseason. The only thing Dale kills Chipper at is defense and I think Chipper is underrated at defense. He is no gold glove, but I think he is better than people give him credit for.

I love Dale Murphy and think he should be in, but look at what he did compaired to Chipper.

Dale:

1197 Runs
2111 Hits
398 HR
1266 RBI
.265 AVG
.346 OBP
2 MVP
1 NL Championship
0 WS

Chipper:

1225 Runs
2005 Hits
369 HR
1224 RBI
.305 AVG
.402 OBP
1 MVP
3 NL Championships
1 WS

Dale wasn't much better than Chipper and Dale has played 4 more years than Chipper and chipper has Dale beat in the postseason. The only thing Dale kills Chipper at is defense and I think Chipper is underrated at defense. He is no gold glove, but I think he is better than people give him credit for.

didn't Dale win 3 MVPs? and plus he did not play in the Steroid era of inflated numbers.

I think he's very borderline and will eventually get in, but it would be better if the borderline guys didn't get in. It's become the Hall of Very good instead of the hall of fame (guys like Dave Winfield don't belong IMO).

Back