CC Sabathia signs 7 year deal with New York Yankees

sffanmike25

Bench Warmer
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...=ti-sabathiayankees121008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3759182

Preliminary agreement lands a 7 years, 161 Million Dollar deal for the Vallejo native. 23 million a year average.

Solid work by his agent in having him talk with other local teams. That probably ended up getting that 7th year added to the deal. Cashman must have thought "$%*#, he's talking to Colletti and Sabean, they spend money without thinking all the time."

And just last night the local news was stating that he turned down the yankees offer, and the brewers were the frontrunners. But they said it was just a rumor. I hope the yankees fail to make the playoffs again, and the brewers go to the world series.

I'm disappointed the Dodgers didn't even make a half-hearted effort to offer him a deal.

However, it would have been tough to even come close to 7/160.

5 of the top 8 payrolls made the playoffs, there is a reason I only mildly care about America's Pastime
It works the same way in all the major sports:

NHL: Of the top 16 team salaries, 11 of them made the playoffs
NBA: Of the top 16 team salaries, 10 of them made the playoffs
NFL: Of the top 12 team salaries, 5 of them made the playoffs

The NFL is the most "balanced" of them all. Why isn't there an outcry of the big money teams in the NHL and NBA? It's harder to muck it up in the NFL with the huge rookie contracts and all.

I just think it's unfair that everyone always throws baseball under the bus.

NHL is no longer a major sport, NBA has the same issue but its not nearly as bad as MLB. If a free agent hits the market and he is elite how mnay teams in baseball have a legit shot at him? 4-5 teams tops... That is an issue.

MLB deserves more of the heat because fewer teams have a crack at top players. In the NBA most of the true top players will be able to get max contracts from their current team if they want to offer it.

NFL is the only pro sport I follow with a serious interest,

NHL is no longer a major sport, NBA has the same issue but its not nearly as bad as MLB. If a free agent hits the market and he is elite how mnay teams in baseball have a legit shot at him? 4-5 teams tops... That is an issue.

MLB deserves more of the heat because fewer teams have a crack at top players. In the NBA most of the true top players will be able to get max contracts from their current team if they want to offer it.
The NHL is major enough to mention. It's also a sport without a salary cap.

In terms of Sabathia, the following teams were mentioned as destinations: Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Dodgers, Giants, Brewers

I mean, is he going to get an offer from a bad team, who is likely not one of the bigger money teams? Of course not.

The Yanks, Red Sox, Nationals, Orioles and Angels have all been mentioned in the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes. That's right, the Nats and Orioles (because Teixeira is from the Maryland area).

The teams who don't go after the big market guys choose not to do so, either because certain players don't fit their respective needs or there are cheaper, possibly better, options available. They pocket money from the revenue sharing instead of re-investing it in their teams. Now, it isn't enough to land a mega free agent like a Sabathia or Teixeira, but there are solid free agents still about (it happens every year).

Winning = more people to the park = more revenue for the owner -- in most cases

If these teams do like the Rays have done and draft well and not overpay/invest in borderline free agents (see the Dodgers with guys like Pierre, Jones and Schmidt as examples), teams can be successful.

I mean, the Yanks last won the World Series in 2000, when their payroll was $107M. It went up five consecutive years, down for two and back up to an all-time high of $209M. They have won exactly zero championships in that time. However, they continued to win, which kept fans coming to the park. And having their own TV network doesn't hurt, either.

Bottom line is, teams don't have to have $100+ million payrolls and sign all the top free agents to be competitive. Look at Oakland, Tampa, Cleveland, Minnesota, Florida, St. Louis, Arizona, San Diego, Houston, etc. All these teams have been to their respective League Championship Series at least once since 2003; four have been to the World Series and two have won it.

It's not all about money. It comes down to good scouting, smart drafting and smart free agent decision.

I could not disagree more, these teams like the Rays will be back to also ran status in two years. They won a ton this year and still had trouble filling seats. More people in team's community = $$$ = wins.

Some teams know they will be competitive every year because they can go out and build all-star teams to cover scouting mistakes.

These mid and small market teams rarely get to have a star become a part of the community because they will head off to the big city the minute they hit free agency.

Your a Dodger fan you should love the current set up because your team should be in the running every year for the playoffs and beyond. But 2/3rds of the league can only home they are important once every 5-10 years.

I could not disagree more, these teams like the Rays will be back to also ran status in two years. They won a ton this year and still had trouble filling seats. More people in team's community = $$$ = wins.
And I couldn't disagree more with this. The Rays have the best young talent in baseball, period, many of whom are locked up long-term (Kazmir, Longoria, Shields) and others who are at least 3 years away from free agency (Upton, Garza, Navarro, Sonnanstine). And they still have a stacked farm system (David Price, Tim Beckham and Wade Davis, just to name a few. All three of these guys are top 50 prospects in the minors, with Price being the consensus No. 1 prospect in all of baseball. With the young talent the Rays have, I'd be absolutely shocked if they don't contend year in and year out.

Also, they're looking for a big bat. Milton Bradley and Bobby Abreu are two of their targets. A year ago, we would all be laughing to think either of these guys would consider going to Tampa. But after just one year of success, they're considering it. If I'm them, I bring in Abreu, slot him in the third spot and watch him drive in 100 runs.

Some teams know they will be competitive every year because they can go out and build all-star teams to cover scouting mistakes.
Depends what your definition of "competitive" is.

These mid and small market teams rarely get to have a star become a part of the community because they will head off to the big city the minute they hit free agency.
Well the owner and the front office people should do a better job bringing in young talent to build a team, which will entice big-name free agents. It's funny what winning can do. There are some guys who just won't go to small-market teams. That's fine. There are guys who, while care about money, might also care about winning. The best way to improve the chances of landing a big free agent is to win.

Your a Dodger fan you should love the current set up because your team should be in the running every year for the playoffs and beyond. But 2/3rds of the league can only home they are important once every 5-10 years.
I don't love it because I'm a Dodger fan. I love it because there is no salary cap. To tell a team they can only spend a certain amount of money is absurd. Other teams have the means, if they want to spend the money. Most of the small- and mid-market teams' owners worry about making money before putting a winner on the field. That's their prerogative. After all, baseball is just another business.

Yankees make so much money off of revenue, they don't need to have a stacked farm system. I think they'll end up dealing one of either Kennedy or Hughes for more help, since they are going to probably end up signing Burnett or two of these three: Sheets, Lowe, Petitte.

I hate 'em, but they're the Yankees. They make a TON of money, so, they can do with it what they wish.

And the Rays will not be a bottom feeder in two years. I agree with Dustin, as they've made shrewd moves to lock up their young talent. They are finally doing it right down there, unlike past moves (Canseco, McGriff, Castilla, Juan Guzman....)

Back