Card Database and Inventory

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
Today I received a suggestion via email from @bud7562 to develop a card database with options to inventory cards. My question is, how many of you would use this?

I should mention that this isn't a new idea, though. I've been toying with this idea for well over a year now, but really just haven't been able to determine how much it would be used. This is definitely something that I feel like I could develop, but it would take quite a bit of work to develop and especially to maintain. I'd hate to do all of that work and only see a handful of people using it, and I certainly could not possibly enter the data for every card, in every product, that's released.

If this is something you think would be a nice addition to TCZ, please take the time to answer some of the questions below.

1. How would we get all of the data inserted into the databases?
  2. Would you help submit data for cards as it becomes available from manufacturers?
  3. Would you pull out your old checklists, if you have any, to submit old data that may be missing?
  4. Would you report wrong or missing data as you came across it?
  5. Would you use this service to take inventory of your collections?

I really don't know what to think about this. There are already a few good inventory databases out there. I am currently using Zistle, The Trading Card Database and have seen or used a few others.

Keeping the information accurate is a huge job. With all the information to add to the database there needs to be someway to keep track of duplication. Then there is trying to keep track of all the various sub-sets and parallels and avoiding having them get duplicated.

1. I'm guessing the same way the other databases do it, by allowing members to add cards to the database. The big problem here though obviously is increase in probability of duplication, and then the added responsibility to monitor the information in the database for accuracy.
2. Probably yes.
3. probably.
4. You bet, I would at least try.
5. Not sure, as I said I already use two pretty good databases, and there is a third or 4th that I have attempted to use.

I currently us sportscardslist.com ,after playing around with a few others,I have found this one very updated,and very easy to navigate
Hmmm impressive. I did a quick little search for an obscure oddball Baseball set 1978 Atlanta Convention and they have it. The set is a commemorative set that was made for the first Atlanta Trading Card Show back in '78 there are 24 0r 25? cards. The feature mostly Braves players (a few other players who I think are significant in Atlanta baseball history) plus one Falcons player. The fronts have a black & white portrait of the player with a pale green background in the style of the 1959 Topps baseball. The backs are plain white with black writing. A few years back I had to add that set to Zistle. I still need to scan them though been meaning to do that for ages and ages.

yup...the site has helped me find cards I didn't know existed,mebbe you could "recommend " TCZ users to use Zistle,or another such as Sportscardslists.com, or any other site of your choosing so we can get everybody(that wants to) on the same page...it sure would save you alot of time and hard work...juss sayin' ;)

I noticed some traffic coming to sportscardslist.com from here, so I thought I would register and say hello. I created sportscardslist.com with the sole purpose of allowing collectors to share and find information easily. I would love to have more peoples opinion on how I can make the site a better place for everyone.

In the short amount of time it has been up and running, we have been able to get a large amount of data for the site. Pretty soon, we are going to open it up for others to make suggestions for sets edits or additions and to crowdsource a cumulative database of card images.

I have also been a developing a dedicated app, so you can take sportscardslist with you on the go.

Please let me know if you have any other feedback!

Welcome to TCZ @sportscardslist. It's always nice to see people who run these sites actually involved in the hobby community. I, honestly, haven't looked at your site, personally, but once I do I may have some ideas to pass on to you that might make it better.

Again, welcome to TCZ. If you have any problems, or questions, feel free to drop me a message.

Welcome to TCZ @sportscardslist. It's always nice to see people who run these sites actually involved in the hobby community. I, honestly, haven't looked at your site, personally, but once I do I may have some ideas to pass on to you that might make it better.

Again, welcome to TCZ. If you have any problems, or questions, feel free to drop me a message.

Thank you!

I started SportsCardsList.com in 2013 with the crazy idea of developing a platform to allow collectors to easily share their collections with others and it has evolved into a massive database of 5.5 million unique cards over 80,000 sets. It's been a wild first 6 months with the site, and I am guessing as the site grows in popularity, the more valuable the information and features will become to the hobby.

How do you share your collection....I can search for a certain players and only searches the list of cards that player currently has in circulation...but how do you find if another member has the card you are looking for and how do I upload my collection

yup...the site has helped me find cards I didn't know existed,mebbe you could "recommend " TCZ users to use Zistle,or another such as Sportscardslists.com, or any other site of your choosing so we can get everybody(that wants to) on the same page...it sure would save you alot of time and hard work...juss sayin' ;)
Yes it would be nice to have a datebase and a inventory, so other now what you have?

So, almost a year later I still haven't registered (at least not that I remember) at Sports Cards List, but I was wondering how many of you are still using it and how updated you feel it is? I'm also curious as to whether, or not, it's possible to share your inventory/lists publicly?

So, almost a year later I still haven't registered (at least not that I remember) at Sports Cards List, but I was wondering how many of you are still using it and how updated you feel it is? I'm also curious as to whether, or not, it's possible to share your inventory/lists publicly?
Wow over a year since I made the above reply (post #3). I didn't remember the site until revisiting it just now. Now I know my problem with it. It is too text LIST oriented. It doesn't seem to have images? I also am now remembering that it was a little difficult figuring out how to start a list or find the cards to add to it. Personally I need the visual as well as the text. When I look for trades from people I prefer checking organized photobuckets or blog sites rather than the weblist (like webby) websites.

I admit for tradingcarddb.com I am just now getting around to using it as a default, my current default is Zistle but tcdb in some areas is more complete and is slightly quicker to add/remove cards from your collect, except it was a little more difficult to figure out than zistle. Sports Card Album is also fairly simple to use but takes a little experimenting to figure out, plus right now there are some coding issues with it or at least I'm having some problems with it.

Back