Baseball Braves Signed Baseball Project - Opinions?

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
OK, so I really like signed ROMLBs and have been thinking about starting a project of some kind. Originally, I just wanted to get a big display case and fill it with random HOFs and famous players. But, that is a really daunting task and something that I'm not really up for the challenge at this time. What I have decided I would rather do is a small set for my favorite team...the Braves.

I have discovered that they home plate shaped wall display cases that hold 12 baseballs and I think that would be perfect for this particular project. The cases appear to be very esthetically pleasing and they filter out 98% of the UV light so the balls should be fairly safe. I was thinking of a case like this:

Now comes the planning part where I would like some input. I have been thinking about 2 ways to do this. One would simply be to find 12 signed balls. The other would be 11 signed balls and one logo ball. I was thinking the bottom holder, where only a single ball goes would be a great place for a non-signed Rawlings Braves logo baseball. I know they are cheap plastic skinned balls...but it would add a nice visual that it is a Braves set. What do you think...12 signed or 11 signed and one logo?

I also need to come up with the players for the set...and here I would like some opinions. I want the set to represent the great players throughout Braves history. When you think of the Braves...I want the players here to be the players that come to mind as their best. For example, Babe Ruth player for the Braves for one ugly season...I don't think he would be a good fit because although he was a great player, he wasn't with the Braves. I thought the best place to start would be with the Braves' retired numbers (not including Jackie Robinson).

The retired numbers players are:
John Smoltz
Bobby Cox
Dale Murphy
Warren Spahn
Greg Maddux
Phil Niekro
Eddie Mathews
Hank Aaron
Tom Glavine
Chipper Jones

With the retired numbers, there are already 10 players. If I decide to go the logo ball route...I would only need 1 more.

A few other players come to mind that could be that 11th player (and 12th if no logo ball was used). Other players I have been considering are:

David Justice (3x all-star, '90 NL ROY, as a child my favorite player and the guy who hit the 1995 WS winning home run)
Andruw Jones (5x all-star, 10x gold glove)
Terry Pendleton ('91 NL MVP)

Of course, there might be a player or two I have failed to consider...especially older players. I would love to hear some opinions.

I think it's a fine idea for a new collection. limiting it to 12 makes it much more attainable. I'm not sure how you're going to go about getting a matching set of balls signed, though. Doesn't seem like Warren Spahn is going to be signing anything, for example. Might be easier to try to buy balls already signed, but then getting a nice matched set could be impossible. You probably will inspire me to do a similar collection with my favorite Red Sox players.

First... you CANNOT do that unless you include Justice! He's a MUST HAVE in the collection!

Second... great looking display case... great idea of who's signatures to put on display!

Good luck.. looking forward to seeing the completed set when you are able to get it finished!

I think I'm going to go with the 12 signed balls...that way I can include both Justice and A. Jones. I can't do it without Justice and Jones is too important in Braves history. He is one of their best all time players. Plus, those logo balls are plastic and would look funny with the leather balls.

As for Peter's question...I plan to pretty much buy all the balls already signed. I'm going to look for official baseballs (which are pretty easy to distinguish). I want them signed with blue ink and both Spahn and Mathews (the only deceased players) can be found pretty easily like this. But, I am going to be selective and pick out nice looking signatures.

I will be purchasing most of these balls online and I want to purchase balls that have been authenticated by reputable companies. I know that PSA is considered very good...but what about the others? What other companies are considered reputable. Is JSA considered on par with PSA for example? Who should I stay away from and who should I trust?

I am going to be very picky with this collection. I want to find nice looking signatures on ROMLBs signed with blue ink only. No inscriptions of any kind...just a signature. The goal is a nice looking uniform set. I have also noticed that some player's signature varies a lot. For example, I have seen Hank Aaron signed balls (PSA certified) with very attractive signatures and some (also PSA) with very ugly/crude signatures. Perhaps they were signed in a hurry or perhaps Mr. Aaron's signature is beginning to get sloppy as he ages (or both). Point being, I want to find nice quality certified and attractive pieces and I know those cost a premium...so I want to ensure they are authentic.

Personally, I'd stick with PSA. They're the only ones I'm familiar with and if you're concerned about resale value that's where you should go as well.

Personally, I'd stick with PSA. They're the only ones I'm familiar with and if you're concerned about resale value that's where you should go as well.
I was leaning towards PSA and they seem to have the highest resale potential. I have no plans to sell this collection...but I do want to be smartest with my money too.

I have to agree with Peter... PSA is the only way to go.

I have been at Card Shows and have seen Beckett-graded cards on the same table as PSA-graded cards. You can have two exact cards, the Beckett is graded a 9, while the PSA is graded an 8... but the PSA card commands a higher price tag.

Just picked up two of the balls I need for this collection online today. Got an Eddie Mathews and a Andruw Jones. Both signed on ROMLB with blue ink and both PSA authenticated. I will post photos when they arrive.

I'm specifically seeking out signed balls without inscription. I know the Eddie Mathews balls with "HOF" or "512 HRs" are more valuable...but I want the set to be fairly uniform. The Jones has #25 next to it...but I think that's OK.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. :)

Did you order the display case yet?
I haven't ordered it yet. I wasn't even going to buy the balls right now but two were available that looked really nice. I'm actually leaving the country for two weeks starting next Sunday and I don't want to have packages arriving when I'm gone. The balls should arrive before I leave. I figure I'll order the case as soon as I return.

It occurred to me that by the time the balls arrive later in the week my camera will probably already be all packed away with the rest of my luggage for the trip. So, rather than dig it out to take photos of the balls...I'll just post the images from where I got them online:

Both are PSA certified and on official Rawlings National League Baseballs.​

Here is a thought. Two of the players sign through the mail. My goal is to get balls signed in blue ink with no inscriptions (other than maybe their number) because I want the set to match. One thing I have noticed is that often, balls for sale online are older and have some minor staining or marks on them. But, they are PSA certified. The benefit to buying online is that I can see that the signature is nice looking (I know exactly what it looks like and what it includes) and that the ball is certified. Going TTM, I don't get that benefit...but I do know the ball will be brand new and not stained.

The two TTM players are Dale Murphy (free) and Phil Niekro (requires $25 fee). Both are pretty reliable and the expense of TTM for Murphy would probably be a little cheaper than buying online...the cost for the Niekro would probably be about the same.

What do you think I should do?

Got the Mathews and Jones balls today...Jones looks great but the Mathews is not the ball I ordered. I purchased a specific ball because it had a very nice crisp and well centered signature, the ball I got was different (and has a different PSA serial number).

I purchased the balls on 6/22/13. They had a couple Mathews balls listed. The one I got (which was listed for the same price) was removed on eBay on 6/24/13 because it was "no longer available" and that is the same day my package shipped. I sent them an email complaining but I have a funny feeling they had already sold my ball and just tried to exchange it. Perhaps it was an honest mistake but the fact this this ball became "unavailable" on the same day as my package shipped does strike me as odd.

Basically, I'm very unhappy.

Back