Bill Simmons front page espn.com story on the Nationals

Zeeck

Sneaky
It's an entertaining read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/intro/090805

What I liked more was the 20 page photo gallery that follows. Some of his comments couldn't be more dead on:

One of my favorite rules of collecting is "never buy from a dealer who's an a-hole." It's just not worth it. You'll always have the stink of the jerk who sold whatever you bought on it. Unfortunately, many of these guys are unfriendly; it's a relatively lonely business filled with unhappy people who act like they have more power than they do and don't mind spitting chicken fingers on you as you're trying to negotiate a price with them. The way to combat these people is by not giving these people money. I know, crazy. What's amazes me is their willingness to throw away any rules for selling that work in any other walk of life: Being friendly and reasonable; having a sense of humor; avoiding any condescending or derisive remarks; not keeping a customer waiting because you're busy telling another dealer a stupid story about your personal life; engaging the customer immediately instead of appearing put-out because they've interrupted your lunch or your phone call; etc., etc. It's one of those professions in which, when you deal with someone normal and friendly, you feel obligated to thank them for being normal and friendly. Sad but true.

Again, the collector's show isn't a great place to meet women. Or, see women. Or remember what women look like.

When I go to shows, I tend to avoid sellers with no price tags and those who overprice cards. I asked a seller how much his Calhoun SP Authentic patch was. It was a single color, and he was looking for $30. At the time I was steadily buying them for $10-15 each. I passed, and I have not even looked at his table since. A couple months after I initially asked, he saw me looking at the table next to his. He asked me if I was still interested in the Calhoun, and I told him no because I bought 5 since. I even got 2 for a total of $5 shipped.

When I go to shows, I tend to avoid sellers with no price tags and those who overprice cards. I asked a seller how much his Calhoun SP Authentic patch was. It was a single color, and he was looking for $30. At the time I was steadily buying them for $10-15 each. I passed, and I have not even looked at his table since. A couple months after I initially asked, he saw me looking at the table next to his. He asked me if I was still interested in the Calhoun, and I told him no because I bought 5 since. I even got 2 for a total of $5 shipped.

I do the same thing. If I'm looking at a table and I ask a price on a card and the dealer quotes a price that is just way high, I don't bother checking out anything else.

I did not price anything at the show I did. There were several dealers just like the one described at the show. I cut everyone deals and made everyone happy. Plus my winning personality did not hurt either!

the little shows they do up here, which is the same 8 guys every couple a weeks during nfl season, those guys pass around the same beckett cause one buys a different one for each sport

Back