Back in the game, grading question..

Mets31

Bench Warmer
Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I'm back in the collecting game.
I've been collecting on and off my whole life.
On this go round I've decided to go after only high-end cards of my all time favorite players.
So far I have 3 cards and like 3 more on the way.

My question is, what is the best grading card company? My main concern is protecting the cards for years.

Thanks for any advice you may have.
Eric

id say its like this...

Recent (like 2010-current) BGS (at least for baseball, prospecting guys love the BGS)
Modern (1950-2010) PSA
Antique (1960 and before) PSA or SGC

for superstars, PSA 10 sells for more than BGS 9.5, and low population stars in PSA are at insane prices, like an Ozzie Newsome PSA 10 RC sold for more than a new car...anything 70s-1988 id want PSA over BGS...

I agree with @sliqwill. Most of what I've ever seen, or read, suggests using PSA for older stuff and BGS for new.

By the way, welcome to TCZ.

That is pretty much the standard for "most" folks what was stated.

My main concern is protecting the cards for years.

If that is your major reason for doing it then may not be the way to go, buy some good holders and invest in a bank deposit box to protect from flood/fire/theft etc.... IMHO grading good for brag rights or if you planning on selling it right away, and anything graded under a 9 for modern stuff you start coming close to that line of you don't get the cost of grading in any premium it sold for being graded (varies on price of the card, but you can find many cases of ungraded cards going for more than the graded ones with a under 8.5 or 9 grade for modern cards, and lots of cases of folks grading things that really shouldn't be graded (cards that sell for less than the cost of grading), but again there is varying degrees of opinions out there same as any other subject). But then I am of the "grade only vintage or high end RC's" philosophy, so doubt I fall into "the norm" on very many of my opinions to be honest.

Article with some info, though mostly for what companies to avoid as some real shady ones out there, sticking with the top 3 is best or top 5 at a minimum:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Buying-Graded-Sports-Cards-Avoid-Being-Ripped-Off-/10000000001342856/g.html

I kind of think grading has hurt the collecting business. I collect comics too and now everything has to be in perfect shape. As far as the cards go , I agree about just getting the plastic holders. They work fine.

I kind of think grading has hurt the collecting business. I collect comics too and now everything has to be in perfect shape. As far as the cards go , I agree about just getting the plastic holders. They work fine.

kind of tough to read a graded comic though...if you are just into the 'new' books it shouldn't matter if you shell out $5 or whatever for a new one to enjoy

Back