Autograph Question

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
One of my all-time favorite sets is 1989 Topps football. I enjoy TTM autographs and I have been thinking for some time of trying to put together a signed 1989 Topps set. There are 393 player cards and I could probably get a complete set in the $20 range. Might be a fun project.

My question is this, who should I get card #1 signed by. The card (shown below) shows the 49ers playing in Super Bowl XXIII. It features a picture of Joe Montana dropping back to throw. Should I try and get a Montana signed example as he is the player the card is mostly focused on...or should I get it signed by someone else. It's a team card that doesn't really mention Montana by name and he wasn't the game MVP. I'm thinking the other option would be Eddie DeBartolo Jr, the (then) owner of the 49ers.

Part of my reason for this is Montana has two other cards in the set. Does a set really need 3 Montana signed cards...or would 2 Montana signed and 1 DeBartolo signed be better?

Any thoughts?

F1H4pYi.jpg

Well. That was Bill Walsh's last game. He died a few years back. If I could find one signed by him it would be cool but since it doesn't feature him on the card I wonder how many exist.

oh, ugh Tim no stick ball. Tim not no pig skin bal.

I think I'm just going to go for it. I have seen a couple successes online fairly recently writing to Montana TTM via the 49ers address...so I will try that. I will also send the SBXXIII card to DeBartolo (former owner) and see what happens.

I have one more question for you guys. I think I am going to work on this set along with one other smaller set. I have always really liked the 1989 Pro Set Super Bowl GTE Binder set...and I have 2 of those sets.

I was thinking of seeing if I can get one of them signed...again, mostly TTM. Because it is also a 1989 set, I should be able to send quite a few of the cards with the 1989 Topps cards as many of the players are the same.

My question is...what do I do with the first three cards. One is a card for the Super Bowl venue (Superdome) and the others are conference cards (conference logo on the front) and conference standings on the back. I was thinking of trying to get one signed by Paul Tagliabue (probably the Superdome card) as this was the first Super Bowl with him as commissioner. But, who do I try and get the conference cards signed by? Any ideas?

The set basically commemorates Super Bowl XXIV...so its all 49ers and Broncos.

I was thinking team owners for each team...but the Broncos owner is very ill with Alzheimer's. The head Super Bowl referee is deceased. The losing head coach of the AFC Title game is deceased (both Super Bowl coaches have their own cards). Any ideas?

One possibility is Gary Kubiak and Steve Bono. Both were backup QBs and I know Kubiak got some garbage time in the game (I don't recall if Bono did) but neither have cards in the set.

Does each conference have a conference president? How about the refs autos?

Does each conference have a conference president? How about the refs autos?
Not that could find for the conferences. I thought about the head referee but apparently he did less than a year after the game.

Another option would be to try and get them signed by the OC/DC of each team (NFC card for SF, AFC card for Den).

Owner or president of the Super Dome? I think that is where the Super Bowl was played that year. If no the Super Dome, try for an auto of the president/owner of whatever venue they played at or the company that has the naming rights to that stadium?

That's not a bad idea. Maybe I'll do the the Superdome card using the New Orleans mayor and maybe doing both conference cards with Paul Tagliabue.

I also agree with you. I have seen the cards made by @CamaroDMD and they are so colorful and you can't finish staring. I also read the tutorial and I might just try to make one card and see how it turns out to be. :)
I appreciate the the kind words, but the card in this thread is an original Topps card...not one of my creations.

It depends. Do you want a signature for future value? Current value? Or do you just want a signature that looks cool on a card you plan to keep as part of your personal or private collection? Once you get that figured out, then you'll know what signature you need.

Back