August 2012 Card of The Month

How's that? The only thing not allowed, really, are cards that were purchased as singles.

I like the new rules, the hobby is much more fun when you are actually able to pull a sick hit. I am sure there will be more entries as people begin to recieve their monthly box break items and such.

I pulled a card today from my LCS - another redemption - that I will definitely be putting up for COTM once I get it in hand... but it's a surprise 'til then! All I'll say is that I wanted one of these last year and never pulled one!

How's that? The only thing not allowed, really, are cards that were purchased as singles.

That leaves me out because I stopped buying packs a long time ago and stuck with only buying singles. This is a rule I have stuck with and have never regretted.

Plus, my team is pretty bad, so I doubt I would get any sick pulls from the breaks.

I'll put in my 2 cents here ...

While I understand the spirit of the rule, I do think it's pretty limiting. This hobby is based on the idea of collecting and a lot of the collecting that many people do is via buying single cards. This rule, while well intentioned, eliminates a large portion of cards that would otherwise be very fitting for this contest. Two scenarios come to mind and there are many more but here are the two I'd like to bring up:

1) Person A can't afford to buy a box of Museum Collection (or other crazy expensive product), or even a single pack for that matter but finds a PC item sold singly from that product which becomes the centerpiece of their PC.
2) Person B can't find/afford a pack of 1955/1960/1970/name any other vintage year cards but finds a rare Mantle that they then purchase.

These are just a couple scenarios. I think the spirit behind the entire hobby is to collect singles. At least that's what it was when I was younger and collecting. Back then, there wasn't as much of a focus on buying boxes upon boxes of product. We bought packs. We bought singles. We traded to complete sets. We traded three cards we loved for one card we adored.

It's the only rule I was iffy about when I read it but I figured I'd hold my tongue. Since it's still a discussion though, I thought I'd chime in with my opinion. :)

Indy: the Bengals have a lot of stuff out of '11 and '12, so you should get chances anyhow..

Christian: the only thing I got out of that was maybe traded cards could be eligible.. but I still maintain the hobby is about opening packs. Boxes now yes, but like you, I grew up with hoping for cards of my faves in packs. I seriously think its the whole point of this hobby.. that and its called TRADING cards :LOL: , so maybe cards gotten from trades should be allowed.

One more thing, we will fill the poll with cards even if there isnt nominated 10. The Baldwin Indy got this month, is a great example. No ones nominated it, but It'll be there when the poll is up.

A whole different thing could be two seperate cards of the month, one for best pulled, and one for freebies, singles and trades.

Okay, well we can agree to disagree. :) If you find a pack of 1955 topps for me to open so that I can legitimately show off a Koufax rookie when I get it, let me know. ;)

But yeah, I'm good with whatever. I was just giving my perspective. Appreciate the feedback.

That leaves me out because I stopped buying packs a long time ago and stuck with only buying singles. This is a rule I have stuck with and have never regretted.

Plus, my team is pretty bad, so I doubt I would get any sick pulls from the breaks.

FWIW I'm with Indiana. Every once in awhile I might buy a pack to see what they look like but I generally have no use for current stuff other than buying a base card of guys on my fantasy team. But I DO understand the rules and am not asking for a change. I'm realize that I am waaay out of step with a vast majority of folks here but I continue to post because of the interaction with other members.

After quite a bit of discussion about it we have decided that given the low number of nominations this month we will be dropping the rule that disallows purchased cards to be nominated, effective immediately. However, the rule will remain that members cannot nominate their own cards. So, if you got a new card this month that you think is worthy of a nomination please share it in the appropriate forum (Mail Days, Box Breaks and Pack Pulls, etc).

So, if you have added a purchased card to your collection this month and didn't share it yet, there are still 11 days to share them and get them nominated!

Gonna put this one in for this month, if ok?

scan0010.jpg

Gonna put this one in for this month, if ok?

How do i summitt a card for card of the month?

Guys, the rules are posted in the very first post :)

Here's how it works.

• All entries must have been first obtained within the month they're nominated for.
  • NEW Members can not nominate their own cards. NEW
  • There must be a scan of the card, on TCZ, that is being nominated.
  • NEW Do not post the scans within this thread. Post a link to the thread, on TCZ, where the card is shown. NEW
  • If you would like to have your card nominated, create a thread in the appropriate forum (such as Box Breaks, Show and Tell, or Mail Days), and share the card within that thread. If it deserves to be nominated, someone will notice it and post the nomination within this thread.

Back