Are All "Base Cards" Really Base Cards?

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
So, I have been doing some searching for a "want list" for my Marcus Mariota PC. Just sorta window shopping. As I mentioned in that thread, I'm going to avoid base cards unless I find one that really appeals to me...not a strict rule for the collection but definitely a theme.

Having done some looking around over the last week...I had a thought about the current status of base cards. It seems to me that a lot of "serious collectors" avoid base cards because they are too common and easy and focus on the "hits" because they are more desirable. Not that I really care...I collect what I like. But seems to be the general trend of the hobby from an outside observer.

Which brings me to my queston/thought. I know one things that card companies do is include SPs in their base. Almost like the SPs of old...a handful of cards are far rarer than the rest but are still "base" cards. Do most collectors still include these in the "hit" catagory if they pull one?

Here's an example. The 2015 Upper Deck football base set includes card #55 which is Marcus Mariota. He is a photo below (borrowed from COMC as an example).
Qjm2JLT.jpg

Also in the base set is card #236. Also Mariota but a very difficult SP to pull (photo borrowed from eBay):
hPM2u5K.jpg

Card #236 normally sells for more than the #55 autographed parallel.

I would consider both of those as base cards. You can complete a base set w/o SP cards or w/ SP cards. Beckett lists pricing for both base sets. Obviously a complete base set w/ SP is a lot more. You can have parallels of both a regular base card and a SP base card. I own several examples of a Rickey Henderson regular base, SP base and "gold, silver, red, blue etc." parallels of both the regular base and SP base. Welcome to the wonderful world of player collecting!

Back