Racing Ambrose Wins the Finger Lakes 355 at Watkins Glen

Leafsfan1967

Bench Warmer
STORY: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/ambrose-slips-win-watkins-glen-202006250--nascar.html

RESULTS: http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/sprint/races/13/leaderboard?year=2012

STANDINGS: http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/sprint/races/13/livestandings

Ambrose slips by to win at Watkins Glen
By Amanda Vincent, The Sports Xchange

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. -- After a final lap that saw the top-three drivers make significant contact with each other as they slipped in oil, Marcos Ambrose came out ahead to win the Finger Lakes 355 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Watkins Glen International.

Brad Keselowski finished second.

Kyle Busch took the white flag with the lead, but a spin and contact from Keselowski propelled Keselowski into the lead.

Moments later, Ambrose got by Keselowski to move into the top spot and the two drivers battled side-by-side, banging fenders the rest of the way to the checkered flag.

Busch took the lead early in the race, getting by pole sitter Juan Pablo Montoya on lap one. He stayed out as some drivers pitted early to hold on to the lead until the first caution of the race came out on lap 25 of the 90-lap event.

Busch gave up the lead to pit under yellow, handing off the top spot to Keselowski, who had pitted a lap earlier under green. Keselowski and Ambrose restarted first and second, while Busch was shuffled back to seventh for the restart.

Ambrose passed Keselowski for the lead on lap 39, then gave the top spot back to Keselowski when he headed down pit road on lap 47. Keselowski then headed down pit road on lap 57, enabling Busch to re-inherit the lead just before the next caution of the race came out on lap 58.

Once again, Busch and others pitted under the yellow, and Keselowski shuffled back up toward the front to restart with the lead. Tony Stewart restarted second after working his way back toward the front after a pit road penalty earlier in the race.

Ambrose made his way back up to the third spot after pitting under caution by getting by both Busch and Clint Bowyer with 21 laps to go. Stewart, running second, spun a lap later to bring out the caution, moving Ambrose up to second.

Keselowski and Ambrose started first and second with 16 laps to go, but Busch got by both of them to take the lead on the restart. Ambrose then got by Keselowski with 10 to go to assume the second spot. With two laps remaining, Keselowski got back by to retake second and set his sights on Busch.

As Busch slowed and looked to lose some control of his race car, Keselowski made contact. Busch then spun and Keselowski moved into the lead on the final lap. With Busch out of contention, Keselowski and Ambrose made contact multiple times on the final lap, and Ambrose was up front when the checkered flag waved.

Busch remained in the top 10 to finish seventh. Jimmie Johnson was third, Clint Bowyer fourth, and Sam Hornish Jr. rounded out the top-five. Greg Biffle was sixth.

NOTES: Ambrose has never finished worse than third at Watkins Glen. ... Prior to Sunday's race, there had never been a last-lap pass for the win at the track. ... This was Ambrose's second-consecutive win at Watkins Glen.

120811054738-ambrose-watkins-glen-story-top.jpg

621x.jpg

582x.jpg

The last lap fight between leaders Kyle Busch, Brad Keselowski, and Marcos Ambrose was fantastic. Those are the types of finishes Nascar needs to get viewers. Oh, and look who is the new leader in the points race. That's right "Ole 5-Time" is your new points leader. He is on his way to #6. You heard it here. :nana:

Not sure JJ is heading for Number Six...but it sure is good to see anyone, and I mean ANYONE, but Dale Jr. to be in the points lead!

Been a great couple weeks watching the 18 ;)

This was the best race in a long long time. The snooze fest's they have been putting on has to stop

Not sure JJ is heading for Number Six...but it sure is good to see anyone, and I mean ANYONE, but Dale Jr. to be in the points lead!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this comment. Im just glad that Kry-le is getting his just desserts now, at least he wont be leading the points anytime soon....... :D

Also, that was one of the best finishes Ive seen in years, since Carl tried to go up into the stands..... with his car, lol. I lost a bit of respect for all my favorite drivers crying about the oil like they have never driven on a dirty track, but ol' autopen really stepped up and was a man about it, big kudos to him for that post race interview and his attitude about the end of the race in general!

I agree that finish was very exciting, which is what nascar needs more often. I guess their quick fix of green, white, checker was suppose to give us the exciting finishes, but Sunday's ending was something special that we haven't seen in ages? A lot of people dislike the road courses, including the drivrs, but I for one anxiously await these two races every year, and I would love to see one added to the chase schedule (perhaps in Montreal?). They need one more at least for my liking!

Back