Am I overreacting? Need advice.

andy

Collector Planet Original
Transactions: 2
I bought 4 vending boxes of '87 Topps baseball. Advertised as unopened and unsearched.

Link

I sent him this message"

Got the cards today and am so disappointed. These boxes have obviously been searched. There seems to be about 3-4 near complete sets, missing all the top cards. This is completely unacceptable. Please refund my money.

And here is his response:

hi.......sorry to hear you are disapointed in the cards you received. the boxes you received have not been searched and came direct from a case we bought direct from topps in 1987. we have sold 3 other 4 count lots of these boxes over the past couple of months on ebay and everyone has been pleased. these have been sitting in my basement for the past 20 years and i certainly do not have the time or desire to go through boxes of cards that sell for 1/2 cent per card looking for "top cards". we have sold thousands of unopened packs and boxes through ebay without a hitch and have been mail order sportscard dealers for over 35 years. these boxes are random packed at the factory and in no way could there be about 3-4 near complete sets (two complete sets alone would require 1584 cards). again, i'm sorry you are not happy with your purchase but we sold you the exact item as advertised and delivered it in a timely manner. thank--you.

He is correct about the number of "near sets" but that is a mute point. The bottom line is out of a set of 792 cards, I received 2000 cards, the best of which is Paul Molitor. All the stars are missing - Ripken, Nolan Ryan, Sandberg, Clemens, McGwire, Bonds, Bo, Boggs, I could go on..... Also all the Turn back the Clock, all the record breakers, and all the all star cards are missing.

There is no doubt in my mind that this box has been searched. Should I have handled it differently? Can I win a Paypal claim for misrepresentation?

sliqwill

Prospect
Transactions: 1
do you ney texas ranger cards :roflmao: remember nationals...

no seriously if there were NO RBs/AllStars/All Start Rookies/Future Stars, or decent cards in 2000 cards i would claim misrepresentation, i dont know how paypal works for that sort of thing, but seriously if you would have bought 4 wax boxes you would have pulled most likely 2-3 of each 'decent' card...

also i have never bought a vending box so i dont know if they are only 'commons' but you should have gotten at least 3 total of bonds, magwire, bo, or canseco....maddux was extended wasnt he?...

andy

do you ney texas ranger cards :roflmao: remember nationals...

no seriously if there were NO RBs/AllStars/All Start Rookies/Future Stars, or decent cards in 2000 cards i would claim misrepresentation, i dont know how paypal works for that sort of thing, but seriously if you would have bought 4 wax boxes you would have pulled most likely 2-3 of each 'decent' card...

also i have never bought a vending box so i dont know if they are only 'commons' but you should have gotten at least 3 total of bonds, magwire, bo, or canseco....maddux was extended wasnt he?...

I think Maddux was in Topps Traded that year. But yeah, there should have been more stars.

GiantFan

Bench Warmer
That sounds very shady but his email sounds good. The part I wouldn't believe is that he's had these cards in his basement for 20 years but has been selling cards for 35 years and chose now to sell these. He probably got the cases from someone else who searches them or searched them himself. Not sure how to prove this to PayPal though.

ernieren

Prospect
i would file a claim of not correct item sent . wait to leave feedback of course . But put in the claim asap .

f8n4tune

Bench Warmer
hi.......sorry to hear you are disapointed in the cards you received. the boxes you received have not been searched and came direct from a case we bought direct from topps in 1987. we have sold 3 other 4 count lots of these boxes over the past couple of months on ebay and everyone has been pleased. these have been sitting in my basement for the past 20 years and i certainly do not have the time or desire to go through boxes of cards that sell for 1/2 cent per card looking for "top cards". we have sold thousands of unopened packs and boxes through ebay without a hitch and have been mail order sportscard dealers for over 35 years. these boxes are random packed at the factory and in no way could there be about 3-4 near complete sets (two complete sets alone would require 1584 cards). again, i'm sorry you are not happy with your purchase but we sold you the exact item as advertised and delivered it in a timely manner. thank--you.

:think: :scratch:

EDIT: I understand that he could have sent them from his basement to the warehouse but to me either reason was enough and he didn't need two reasons to make his point if anyone follows what i'm saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrownieBites

Bench Warmer
I bought several packs of 87 topps from my local card shop and pulled a bonds and a couple turn back the clock cards in my packs... I only purchased 4 packs. Seriously he's full of :ban:

He might not have searched them but I KNOW someone else did.

andy

He ended the claim, deciding to refund me fully. Now what? I send the cards back with DC? Right?

ernieren

Prospect
Contact him and ask how he wants them returned to him since you paid for shipping already you shouldn't have to pay for it going back . So ask to pay for return shipping

andy

Contact him and ask how he wants them returned to him since you paid for shipping already you shouldn't have to pay for it going back . So ask to pay for return shipping
He refunded the shipping. So right now I have his stuff and he has $0.