All time NFL Team?

rexvos

Bench Warmer
I was thinking about this last night as I was drifting off to sleep. I thought if you went solely position by position who would be the all time NFL team in your opinion.

Here is what I came up with in my sleep (all retired players on the first team)

Apologies to Walter Jones on this one, as he and Ogden may be my 2nd team guys:

QB - Johnny Unitas
FB - Jim Brown
HB - Walter Payton
WR - Jerry Rice
WR - Don Hutson
TE - Shannon Sharpe
T - Anthony Munoz
T - Willie Roaf
G - Art Shell
G- Forrest Gregg
C- Mike Webster

DT - Bob Lilly
DT - Randy White
DE - Deacon Jones
DE - Reggie White
OLB - Lawrence Taylor
OLB - Derrick Thomas
MLB - Dick Butkus
CB - Darrell Green
CB - Mel Blount
S - Ronnie Lott
S - Mel Renfro

K - Morten Andersen
P - Ray Guy

A lot of guys you can make an argument for.

only concensus no brainers in my opinion

FB - Jim Brown
WR- Jerry Rice
C- Mike Webster
DT - Bob Lilly
DE - Reggie White
DE - Deacon Jones
MLB - Dick Butkus
OLB - Lawrence Taylor
S - Ronnie Lott

I think Payton is another No Brainer personally, but watching him, Emmitt and Barry play I think it is a hard call based on the eras.

The only one of them that can give any pressure to dethrone Payton IMO is Barry Sanders and I still think Payton was the best. That guy had heart and played with it on his sleeve.

One guy I recall from my days in the 80s watching and loving as a teenager was Singletary - how close would he be?

Singletary was one of my favorite players as a kid. I just do not think you could omit Butkus, or he would be in there.

No Northcutt ?? :ban:

And Mike, what about KR/PR guys (Deion / Whiteshoes / Via Sikahama / Brian Mitchell / Hester) and Special Teams guys (Bill Bates, Don Beebe, etc) ?

No Northcutt ?? :ban:

And Mike, what about KR/PR guys (Deion / Whiteshoes / Via Sikahama / Brian Mitchell / Hester) and Special Teams guys (Bill Bates, Don Beebe, etc) ?

isn't bad enough I had a punter.

if you have to have special teamers then

Steve Tasker
Deion Sanders.

RyanLeaf.jpg
What about me?

I think Earl Campbell, Gale Sayers, & Lynn swann should be in there

all 3 are great in their own right, but not over the people that I listed.

Sayers was plagued by injuries and had a very short career. Swann was great in one Super Bowl, but was not even the best receiver on that team as Stallworth was better and had a much more prolific career, Swann was just more flashy. Campbell was great from 78-81 but his career but there are 3 or 4 backs I would have in front of him.

what about all purpose guys like Earl Morrall or Brian Mitchell?

Brian Mitchell maybe as a returner. Earl Morrall was primarily a backup quarterback even though he had an MVP year in the late 60s but neither are even hall of famers let alone members of the all time starting lineup of NFL greats.

Back