Album vs. Hard Case

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
I don't know about you guys...but I generally prefer to keep my cards in pages in a binder rather than in individual hard cases. I understand there is less protection and a greater chance of damage...but they are so much more fun to look at that way (at least for me) and storage is a ton easier.

My question for you is...at what point is an album and pages too risky? I understand for really valuable cards, but what about low print run SPs? For example, I collect a couple players who never really "made it" big. But, I still like them and collect them. One of them is Tony Graziani. He has several cards with really low print runs. As much as I'd prefer them in a binder for ease of looking at them, I don't know if I trust myself with a /25 parallel in a binder. What are your thoughts?

pages and albums for "sets"... however...

any higher-end cards go into a top loader or a snap-tite with a "note" put in the slot on the page to remind me that I have the card, but it is located elsewhere.

it's an easy choice for me, because I don't do an individual player/racer, so no individual collections, just sets. The wife on the other hand collects Peyton Manning, Dan Marino and Kyle Busch, so she has alot of top loaders and snap-tites holding her cards.

I use albums for my collection. I currently have 43 albums for my NY Jets collection, covering 1960 thru 2016. I put almost every card in the albums, including short prints. I have a large number of 1/1's and other short prints #'d/5 or under and #'d/10, #'d/20, #'d/30 or under included. The only exception to the rule is graded cards(for obvious reasons), and some memorabilia cards, that are just to thick. Also the Bi-fold cards, like Playbook and National Treasures. However, I have experimented, with some success, with making my own custom pages, using Ultra-Pro full sheet pages for 8x10's and magazines, and heat sealing them myself, to custom sizes.

Here's a followup question. Have any of you experience issues with autographed cards in pages long term? Such as the autograph sticking to the page...or coming off the card? I personally haven't seen it and I wouldn't think it would be any different than being in a penny sleeve inside a toploader.

I've had on card autos in pages for a couple years...but never done it with stickers autos (outside of a few player PCs, stickers autos don't have much place in my collection...too new). Any issues with those?

I normally use Ultra-Pro Platinum pages.

I always use penny sleeves "ESPECIALLY" on auto's! I also use the Ultra-Pro Platinum pages, but still use the penny sleeves.

Hmm...I've never used penny sleeves in my pages. I always assumed the page material was just as protective. Perhaps going forward I will change that...at least for autos.

I use a combination of everything. For my Henderson and Casey player collections, all base, common, oddball and most parallels including serial numbered are in pages and binders. I like to look at them often and this makes for easy expansion as I acquire more and fill holes. ALL of my pack pulled Henderson autographed cards are graded while the Casey autos are in individual one-touch holders, regardless of what they may be numbered out of. Any game-used/relic cards #ed out of 25 or less are also in one touch holders. The bulk of my game-used/relic are in a plastic snap "card-keeper" tote. I do have some serial numbered parallels <#25 in the binders but they are generally not super high dollar cards. My 1/1s are either graded or in one-touch holders.

Last edited:
Back