A new collector is born

Dammzyy

Bench Warmer
Just a couple days a go, a colleague from work showed me his collection of NBA basketball cards. From rare 1/1 to 1/500 cards that he had, I was amazed. In the numbers game, he told me he had spent close to $5K and his cards are worth more than double that. He purchased box-loads at a time. This inspired me to start collecting. Don't get me wrong, I have collected cards before as a kid, but never have I done it professionally. The typical Yu-Gi-Oh! and WWE cards were as far as I went.

What I want to know is - where do YOU! buy your cards from? I mainly want to collect vintage and current NBA along with football (known to most of you as soccer) and possibly baseball cards. I live in Australia but that doesn't change anything as worse case I will get the items dropshipped to my house.

Also, are there any collections that a beginner should buy from the word go? Cannot wait to hear from you all!

If you are interested in vintage, I would suggest visiting local Card Shows. Sure you can pick the cards up off eBay with a huge savings, BUT... you don't get to hold the cards you find on eBay in your hands prior to purchasing. Holding the card in your hands gives you a better "feel" for what you are getting and you do not have to rely on the pictures or description to help you decide.

You can also visit your local Card Shop... my personal thoughts on that though is, while you can sometimes pick up boxes of cards at a good price, when purchasing singles it's their price or walk.

Back