A Joltin Joe Story

Luke Anderson

Rookie
Transactions: 11
Hey guys I just wanted to tell you a unique story of my childhood card collecting. As A young boy my parents would buy me baseball cards. I never seemed to get enough of them. I would trade and play poker on the bus to school to obtain more of them. Eventually I had 20,000+ and I started to loose intrest in them. I was no longer a Little boy trying to collect my heroes. I became a teenager and was way to cool to collect anything like that. So over time I moved to the basement and all the cards I owned was pretty much scattered all over the ground. Heck I prob did that to keep my feet warm from the cold hard cement. (Stay with me guys its getting to the good part) I eventually realize that I could be a cool guy and still collect sport cards and my middle school friends also collect them. So I finally got the gumpstion to go through them all and place into boxes and sleeves. I was going through them by grabing them off the cement floor. I grabed a stack and then organized them the correct way up. I saw a Autograph Baseball card. I looked and it was of a older style man and it was a Score card from 1992. There I was holding my most valued card of my life time and didnt realize it. It was a Joe Dimaggio 1992 Score Autograph card. I thought that was the most coolest card and there happened to be a card show in minneapolis so My dad took me to the card show and I brought my card. I showed it to a man and he flipped he gave me a free hard screw case and offered me 450.00 bucks for it. Back then that was good money and thats the card that got me back into baseball collecting. Now After many years later I have 2 Boys and im trying to teach them about cards. My new inspiration is a player name russel Wilson and now hes the reason im back in this with my kids. I hope you all liked the story and hopfully I put it in the right spot.

Haha! That's an awesome story, Luke! My childhood and collecting was similar, except when I quit collecting as I got older all my cards disappeared. There's no telling what cards I might have had, although I'm fairly sure none of them were autographed. As for $450 being good money "back then", well, $450 is still dang good money for a piece of cardboard now too.

Again, cool story. Thanks for sharing.

Back