35 years in the making…

CouvysCards

Prospect
Transactions: 3
As a kid, my dad would take me to 10-15 games a year, mostly Dodgers, some Angels. We would almost always stay after games for autos, many of which I got on cards (have around 200 IP auto cards from the mid-late 80s is n my collection).

During the 86 season, I got this Fleer Canseco RC signed by Eric Plunk. At the time I was thinking it would be cool to have a dual signed card, and I’d get Canseco to sign the other half. Saw Canseco 2-3 times, but he never signed. Kept this card for 35 years, often taking it on trips to/through Vegas in the last few years thinking I might be able to get him to sign at his car wash…never happened.

Last Saturday he was signing at a card show here in Orange County. Gladly paid $15 to finally complete this card!

Attachments

• AF771D2F-E102-41D7-92BA-A772A642D532.jpeg
    AF771D2F-E102-41D7-92BA-A772A642D532.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 5
That is awesome! Great story and really cool that Canseco signed the card.

I grew up going to Dodger games and getting IP autos too…back when you could hang out by the chain link fence at the players parking lot. Good memories!

Also, Eric Plunk is my nephew’s pitching coach! :)

Thanks for sharing…really cool story!

Mike

That is awesome! Great story and really cool that Canseco signed the card.

I grew up going to Dodger games and getting IP autos too…back when you could hang out by the chain link fence at the players parking lot. Good memories!

Also, Eric Plunk is my nephew’s pitching coach! :)

Thanks for sharing…really cool story!

Mike
That’s awesome-spent a lot of time at that chain link fence!

Amazing! Great persistence for the last 35 years! What did Jose think when you told him the story of the card?

Wow! It's amazing that you still had that card after all these years. The fact that you got it finished 35 years later is just amazing! What a great story. Thanks for sharing!

Amazing! Great persistence for the last 35 years! What did Jose think when you told him the story of the card?
Well, that was a little disappointing…he was talking to someone else (an old minor league roommate) who had walked up and was standing beside the table, so he didn’t hear the story the way I intended. I was able to get him to hear that I had Plunk sign it 35 years ago and he said ‘Plunk was a good pitcher.’ 😂🤷🏻‍♂️

Well, that was a little disappointing…he was talking to someone else (an old minor league roommate) who had walked up and was standing beside the table, so he didn’t hear the story the way I intended. I was able to get him to hear that I had Plunk sign it 35 years ago and he said ‘Plunk was a good pitcher.’ 😂🤷🏻‍♂️
That was pretty rough after waiting all that time in line, but still well worth it to complete the card

Nice that he at least talked to you....that has gotta be so tough, trying to find a balance between spending time with everyone who wants to talk to you,and signing....glad he signed for you, that was good!

Back