Baseball 2015 Topps Series 2

Taliasen

From a pack deep in the north country...
Transactions: 2
2015 Topps Series 2

Per box items:
36 packs per box
10 cards per pack
1 autographed or relic card per box

2015 Topps Series 2 does not bring anything new to the game. Rather it is a continuation of the base set. The card fronts feature a color action shot of the player. The picture is 'framed' with a complementary team color pin stripe. The border is a stylized gradient of the team primary color to white from bottom to top. The Topps logo is in silver foil in either the top right or left corner depending on picture. The player name, team name, position, and Team logo are all located on the bottom border of the card. The card backs are photo-less and are all in horizontal layout. The backs contain a fair amount of biographical information, complete career statistics and career highlights or player quote. The team name, logo, and player position are again available on the card back. the color scheme of the back is similar to that of the front.

What I pulled:
296 base set cards 296/350
39 non-serial numbered inserts
4 non-serial numbered parallels
12 serial numbered parallels
2 buy back cards
1 relic card

Base card front and back:

Inserts: (not all scanned)
Baseball Royalty 9, 14
First Pitch 16, 17, 19, 24
Highlight 33, 38, 40, 42, 45, 50, 53, 56, 59
Heart of the Order 3, 5, 6, 9, 16, 17
Til it's Over 2, 7, 8, 12, 15
Stepping Up 2, 3, 8, 10, 12, 15
Eclipsing History 1, 3, 10

Parallels and Buybacks: (not all scanned)
Gold #/2015
4 Rainbow foil 1/10 packs

Clear Parallel
#4/10

Relic Hit:

2015 Topps Series 2 is identical in design to Series 1. Not that I did not like the designs from the past few years I actually really did. The all kind of felt similar even though the designs did change. 2015 offers something that I did not even know I was missing, color. The all white borders are gone and every card has it's own distinct feel to it. The colored borders make each picture pop even more and correspond to the color scheme of the photo itself. As always, Topps includes several insert sets to chase. Photo and 'sparkle' variations return this year bringing an extra challenge for master set collectors. The most desirable variation being of Cubs phenom Kris Bryant. There are also tiered parallels to chase including the Rainbow foil, snow camo, clear, framed, platinum (1/1) and printing plates. Additional hits to chase include Strata Signature relics #/25, Commemorative Patch Pins and Bat Knobs. All of which have different tiers and serial numbering. It should be easy to complete the base set with a single box and some trading. Buy a box and trade your Detroit Tigers and Rickey Henderson cards to me!

The Bottom Line:
I give 2015 Topps series one a buy rating. This will appeal mostly to set collectors.

The Final Score:
Final Ratings (Out of 5):
Base set collect-ability: 4/5
Big-hit Hunter: 5/5
Prospector Hunter: 4/5
Overall Design: 5/5
Fun: 5/5
Value: 4/5
Re-buy: 4/5
Overall Quality: 4/5

Overall: 35/40 (87%5) = B

Thanks to Topps for making this review possible!

Tal

I loved series 2, I hit an all star autograph die cut in 2 blasters of this. :) You hit some good stuff here, thanks for the review!

Back