Baseball 2015 Topps Gypsy Queen

Taliasen

From a pack deep in the north country...
Transactions: 2
2015 Topps Gypsy Queen

Per Box items:
24 packs per box
10 cards per pack
2 autographs per box
2 relics per box
6 short printed cards per box
1 top-loader mini box containing 10 mini cards

The 350 card set features art style drawings of the featured player in either posed or action scenes. The card fronts are bordered with a olive and tan frame. The set name is in the top left corner and the player and team name are opposite. The card backs are photo-less. The white backs contain a simple frame graphic and either a 2014 highlight for current players or a career highlight for retired stars.

What I pulled:
187 base set cards (1-300)
6 short printed cards (301-350)
15 inserts cards
2 serial numbered parallels
20 mini parallels
1 mini insert
3 serial numbered mini parallels
10 mini variation cards (top loader mini-box)
2 autographs
2 relics

Base card front and back:

Inserts and parallels: (not all scanned)
framed card #/499, red mini #/50, silver minis #/199

The Hits:

2015 Topps Gypsy again returns with art style drawn cards. The sometimes hyper-realistic drawings draw upon memories of vintage sets and will appeal to nostalgia buffs. Even if I put the fact I am not a huge fan of art drawn cards aside, 2015 Gypsy Queen does not offer any new or different. Yes, the cards are supposed to be simple by design, but there is very little different between the 2015 version and previous years Gypsy Queen releases. Even when compared to the much more popular Allen & Ginter releases, Gypsy Queen fails to set itself apart as anything special or unique. The autographs are on card which is always nice and the mini-framed relic cards looks sharp and are popular. I really like the mix of current players and retired stars that these throwback sets bring. Continuing the trend with several recent releases, Topps included several variation cards throughout both the base and short print sets. These variation cards are very popular and can command surprising premiums. 2015 Gypsy will provide a relatively inexpensive rip for set builders and retro style fans. You should easily be able to collect the 300 card base set with two boxes. Buy a box and trade your Rickey Henderson and Tiger cards to me!

The Bottom Line:
I give 2015 Topps Gypsy Queen a buy rating. Completing the base set should prove easy, but the brand itself is showing it's age.

The Final Score:
Final Ratings (Out of 5):
Base set collect-ability: 3/5
Big-hit Hunter: 2/5
Prospector Hunter: 1/5
Overall Design: 1/5
Fun: 3/5
Value: 3/5
Re-buy: 3/5
Overall Quality: 4/5

Overall: 20/40 (50%)

Thanks to Topps for making this review possible!

Tal

A buddy of mine pulled a mini Bo Jackson auto out of his mini box...#rd to /10!! He was stoked!!.....he got another box at a different lcs, and got a base Jose Canseco auto...which I thought was cool, he said "......eh." .....lol.

Nice review.

Back