Baseball 2015 Topps Archives

Taliasen

From a pack deep in the north country...
Transactions: 2
2015 Topps Archives

Per Box Items:
24 packs per box
8 cards per pack
2 on-card autos per box

The 330 card set, 300 base and 30 short print, feature card designs from three classic Topps sets. There are 100 cards each with the 1957, 1976 and 1983 Topps layouts. The card fronts have a color picture of the names player with the borders and graphics of that year's design. The card backs are all photo-less and horizontal in layout. The card backs contain biographical information statistics and highlights also indicative of the respective year's design.

What I pulled:
192 unique cards
175 base set cards
1 short print
12 inserts
1 silver parallel
1 original buyback card
2 on-card autographs

Base card front and back:

Inserts and Parallels: (not all scanned)
Silver parallel #/199
4 Tops Game
2 Topps All-Star RCs Norris and Barnes
3 Topps #1 Draft Picks Wogn, Sale, and Teixeira
Presidential Chronicles Truman and Obama

Will Ferrel insert:

Short Print:

Fan Favorites Autograph:

Topps All Star RC autograph:

For as much as I do not like the idea of sets recycling old card designs, I love how 2015 Topps Archives includes both retired stars, current players and top rookies. I must admit that the 1983 Topps design is probably my favorite original layout. There are several parallels to chase, silver, gold, black (1/1) and printing plates. The tiered parallels continue into the #1 Draft Picks inserts and autographs. The popular Fan Favorites autograph series returns as well. All of the autographs are on-card. Buy a box and trade your Rickey Henderson and Tigers cards to me!

The Bottom Line:
I give 2015 Topps Archives a buy rating. Completing the base set should prove easy with a couple of boxes. The short mrints and parallels will be a tough chase. This product will appeal to set collectors, nostalgia buffs and autograph collectors.

The Final Score:
Final Ratings (Out of 5):
Base set collect-ability: 3/5
Big-hit Hunter: 2/5
Prospector Hunter: 2/5
Overall Design: 2/5
Fun: 5/5
Value: 3/5
Re-buy: 3/5
Overall Quality: 4/5

Overall: 24/40 (60%)

Thanks to Topps for making this review possible!

Tal

nice looking cards... and a nice selection. The Ferrell, Dibble, Indians Rookies and the Taylor Autograph are sweet! And it looks like someone has another "Rickey" to add to their PC!

Nice break, that Farrell is pretty sweet, I may have to track down one or 2 of them. I love the '90 set so the looks of Archives is one of the selling points for me, that design instantly reminds me of busting wax packs as a kid.

Back