2015 Cryptozoic The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Taliasen

From a pack deep in the north country...
Transactions: 2
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug continues the story with vivid and exciting scenes from the motion picture movie. The base set includes 72 cards. The card stock is standard issue size. The boarder-less card fronts alternate between horizontal and vertical layout showing iconic moments from the second movie in The Hobbit trilogy. The card backs have a small often character portrait picture related to the scene and a brief description of the story depicted on the front.

Information from Cryptozoic:
"Relive the adventure of the reluctant hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, as he sets out to the Lonely Mountain with a spirited group of dwarves to reclaim their mountain home - and the gold within it - from the dragon Smaug. This new trading card set captures all the wonder of Middle Earth in a new base set, as well as multiple chase sets including character biographies, posters, and more. Autograph and one-of-a-kind Fine Art cards are also randomly inserted into packs of this gorgeous new collectible set."

Key features of the set include:
  • Base cards feature imagery from the epic fantasy adventure, one of the top grossing films of all time
  • Chase sets feature the exciting encounter with Smaug, and 3D lenticular embellishments of Movie Posters
  • Randomly inserted Autograph cards from most of the main cast, in multiple card designs
  • Hand-drawn Fine Art Cards, each one-of-a-kind
Cryptozoic sell sheet

Each box includes:
24 packs per box
5 cards per pack

What I pulled:
120 cards
the 72 card base set
4 silver board parallel cards
2 Character Biography cards
1 Dwarf beard insert
1 Laketown insert
1 Smaug encounter insert
1 autograph card

Base cards:

Silver board parallel 1:6 packs

Character biography cards 1:12 packs

Dwarf and Laketown inserts 1:24 packs

Smaug chase set 1:96 packs

Autograph 1:24 packs

Cryptozoic cast an epic spell with The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. I love pulling a complete base set form just one box. The silver board and Smaug case set cards are stunning. The scans do not do them justice. The autograph is on-card which is always a huge plus for collectors. My favorite inserts are the character biographies. Although my wife said that Azog doesn't deserve his own card because "he is a not cool meanie!" One insert set I though interesting is the dwarf beard set. The dwarfs themselves are unique characters, but their facial hair? My son enjoyed ripping these packs with me as the movie is a family favorite and it was exciting for him to recognize faces and scenes on the cards. I give The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug a strong buy rating. Set collectors, fantasy fans and families alike will all find something to enjoy in this set!

Thanks to Cryptozic for making this review possible!

Last edited:
nice little set... loved the movie... congrats on the autograph... but the "beard card" seems a little strange.. or is it just me? lol

Back