Baseball 2014 Topps Chrome

Taliasen

From a pack deep in the north country...
Transactions: 2
2014 Topps Chrome

Per Box Items:
24 packs per box
4 cards per pack
2 autographs per box

The 220 card set base cards are standard issue size. The cards are similar to the 2014 Topps base set release in design. The silver bordered chrome finish card fronts feature a color action shot of the named player. The card fronts have the player name and team logo at the bottom. The card fronts are trimmed with the team's primary color. The card backs are photo-less and are horizontal in design. The backs include moderate biographical information, a 'rookie fact' statistic, complete career statistics, and brief career highlights. The backs are also trimmed with the team's primary color.

What I Pulled:
96 unique cards, no duplicates
75 base set cards
2 die-cut inserts
14 refractors and x-factors
2 serial numbered refractors
1 Topps Shelf insert
2 autograph cards

Base card front and back:

Inserts and refractors: (not all scanned)
Braun and Kershaw 89 Refractors
Posey Topps Shelf
Calhoun Black #/100
Garcia Gold #/50
Goldschmidt and Pedroia die-cut

The Hits:
Aaron Sanchez autograph
Taijuan Walker refractor auto #/499

I really like the design of this year's Topps cards. The very simple and clean design is very appealing. I think that the photography from Topps has really improved over the past couple of years. Topps again uses occasional horizontal card fronts when the shot dictates. Topps has issued several short print variation cards of players. In addition to the very popular refractors we see black and gold serial numbered refractors. I really enjoy the design of the two die-cut inserts sets. The autograph variations will prove to be a fun chase. Unlike previous issues, there was little to know chrome curl with these cards. Which made this collector very happy!

The Bottom Line:
I give 2014 Topps Series 1 a buy rating. You will need three boxes with perfect collation and some light trading to complete the base set. Not outrageously priced for this always popular set should make it worth it though! Buy a box and trade your Rickey Henderson and Tigers cards to me!

The Final Score:
Final Ratings (Out of 10):
Base set collect-ability: 3/10
Big-hit Hunter: 8/10
Prospector Hunter: 10/10
Value: 8/10
Overall Quality: 10/10

Overall: 39/50 (78% = C)
The big draw back here is that set collectors will need to spend a little money money to finish it.

Thanks to Topps for making this review possible!

Back