Baseball 2014 Topps Archives

Taliasen

From a pack deep in the north country...
Transactions: 2
2014 Topps Archives

Per Box items:
24 packs per box
8 cards per pack
2 autographs per box

The base set cards feature either an action or posed shot of the named player depending on the set design. The cards are bordered in white. The card designs hail from the 1980's. Some of the more notable set designs include 1980, 83, 86, and 1989. The card backs are all photo-less. The backs all list moderate biographical information complete career statistics and sometimes career highlights. The card backs are all in horizontal design and match the respective design of the card fronts. The 250 set is broken into 200 regular base and 50 SP cards.

What I pulled:
192 unique cards
171 base set cards
14 inserts
5 serial numbered refractor parallels
2 autographs

Base card front and back:

Inserts and parallels: (not all scanned)
Eddie Harris and Jake Taylor "Major League 25th Anniversary"
Robing Yount #/99
Bob Feller, Chris Carter, Carlos Martinez and Michael Choice #/199
Jose Canseco Firebrand

Fan Favorites Autographs:
Mark Lemke and Mickey Tettleton

Box Topper:

2014 Topps Archives is a great set for set builders and fans of classic Topps designs, putting current stars on designs of yesteryear looks really good. I especially like the mixture of current players and retired stars. I also like how current players are pictured on card design from 30 years ago and stars of yesteryear on design form the 80's. The autographs are on card is a a nice touch. My usual complaint with Topps products is that there are too many inserts. That being said however, it should not be difficult to complete the base set with a couple of boxes and some light trading. The Jose Abreu SP RC is one of the more popular cards in the set.

The Bottom Line:
I give 2014 Topps Archives a buy rating. Great for nostalgia buff and set collectors. Buy a box and trade your Detroit Tigers, Rickey Henderson and Sean Casey cards to me!

The Final Score:
Final Ratings (Out of 10):
Base set collect-ability: 7/10
Big-hit Hunter: 7/10
Prospector Hunter: 7/10
Value: 8/10
Overall Quality: 9/10
Overall: 38/50 (76% = C)
This is a entry level product that will be easy and fun to complete if not that valuable.

As always I am making the base and inserts cards available to members for a SASE.

Thanks to Topps for providing the cards!

Not a bad looking product. The photo on the box topper is just sweet. The only thing I would question is why they stole an old hockey concept from the 71-72 Topps, and OPC set for a new baseball release? Are we out of ideas? They have all been used, so now we are doubling back? LOL

$_57.JPG

Back