Baseball 2014 Bowman Chrome

Taliasen

From a pack deep in the north country...
Transactions: 2
2014 Bowman Chrome

Per box items:
18 packs per box
4 cards per pack
2 autographs per box

The 220 base card set of 2014 Bowman Chrome features the same design as the regular 2014 Bowman issue, only in a chrome finish. The base cards feature a color action shot of the player. The cards are bordered in silver chrome and have stylized trim framing the player. The team logo, player name and position are centered along the card bottom. The card also has trim corresponding to the teams primary colors. The card backs are photo-less and are horizontal in design. The backs list moderate biographical information, and detail some statistical information graphically including the use of hit charts, spray charts, splits, and hitting zones.

What I pulled:
72 unique cards, no duplicates.
29 base set cards
34 Bowman pick cards
7 inserts and parallels
2 autographs

Base card front and back:

Inserts and parallels:
Niese and Davis refractors #/500
Dugan Gold refractor #/50
1989 Bowman is back Gary Carter
Fire Die-cut Chris Owings
Dual Die-cut Appel/Gray
Mini refractor Fernandez

The Hits:
Lively and Silva autographs

2014 Bowman Chrome reinforces that Bowman is the home of the Rookie card! Loaded with prospects and top rookies, this is a prospectors dream! There are pretty much two sets to complete between the base and Bowman Chrome Picks sets. I think the fire die-cuts insert is the coolest looking inserts, ever. The autos are on-card and looks real sharp. It appears that Topps has finally figured out a way to prevent 'chrome-curl.' Be careful when opening packs though. The sharp point on both of the die-cat inserts can take a beating real easy.

The Bottom Line:
I give 2014 Bowman Chrome a buy rating. You will need a few boxes and trading to complete the base sets. I feel the set is designed for prospectors and the inserts and parallels will be fun to chase. Buy a box and trade your Tigers to me!

The Final Score:
Final Ratings (Out of 10):
Base set collect-ability: 5/10
Big-hit Hunter: 5/10
Prospector Hunter: 10/10
Value: 8/10
Overall Quality: 10/10

Overall: 38/50 (76% = C)

Thanks to Topps for making this review possible!

What? "On card" autographs? oh oh.. did quality control slip up? lol

...and only 29 of the 220 base cards in the box? ouch!

And with a rating of "C"... is it worth the money to pick up a box? I am thinking we would be better off trading off our older stock for the new stuff.

Back