Baseball 2013 Topps Archives

Taliasen

From a pack deep in the north country...
Transactions: 2
2013 Topps Archives

Per Box Items:
24 packs
8 cards per pack
2 'Fan Favorites' autographs per box

The base set cards feature either an action or posed shot of the named player depending on the set design. The cards are bordered in white save for the 1990 set design. The card designs hail from the 1970's, 80's, and 90s. Some of the more notable set designs include 1982, 85, 88, and 1990. The card backs are all photo-less. The backs all list moderate biographical information complete career statistics and sometimes career highlights. The card backs are all in horizontal design and match the respective design of the card fronts.

What I pulled:
187 unique cards, no duplicates
167 base cards, 167/250 = 67% of the base set
2 serial numbered parallels
16 inserts
2 autographs

Base card front and back:

The inserts and parallels:
Refractor parallel #/199: Starlin Castro and Carlos Santana
Gallery of Heroes Yogi Berra
Stadium Club Triumvirate Edgar Martimez
3 1969 4 on 1 sticker cards
5 minis
6 1983 All-Star cards

The Hits:
Denny McLain Fan Favorites autograph
Juan Samuel Fan Favorites autograph

*********************************************************************************

2013 Topps Archives is a great set for set builders and fans of classic Topps designs. Putting current stars on designs of yesteryear looks really good. I especially like the mixture of current players and retired stars. The base 250 card base set is broken into 200 regular and 50 short printed cards. There is the occasional variation cards indicated with 'A' or 'B' in the card number The product is a little light on RCs with Profar and Bundy being the biggest two. the autographs are on card is a a nice touch. My usual complaint with Topps products is that there is a few too many inserts. That being said however, it should not be difficult to complete the base set with a couple of boxes and some light trading.

The Bottom Line:
I give 2013 Topps Archives a buy rating. Great for nostalgia buff and set collectors. Buy a box and trade your tigers to me!

The Final Score:
Final Ratings (Out of 10):
Base set collect-ability: 7/10
Big-hit Hunter: 7/10Prospector Hunter: 7/10Value: 8/10Overall Quality: 9/10
Overall: 38/50 (76% = C)
The biggest drawback being the cost and need for multiple boxes to complete the base set.

As always I am making the base and inserts cards available to members for a SASE.

Thanks to Topps for providing the cards!

I like the "retro"-looking backs, it never goes out of style for me. I think you're dead-on on your assessment. It's somewhat average, for a modern set.

Seeing the Triumvirate reminded me of a card I pulled back in the late 90's, a Michael Jordan. The edges are insanely delicate. I managed to store it properly, without damaging it. I'll have to find it and check what it's going for nowadays. Ideally I wanted to have it graded, but grading cards is expensive, so I never graded any card. If it's worth enough, I might finally send one in.

I like the "retro"-looking backs, it never goes out of style for me. I think you're dead-on on your assessment. It's somewhat average, for a modern set.

Seeing the Triumvirate reminded me of a card I pulled back in the late 90's, a Michael Jordan. The edges are insanely delicate. I managed to store it properly, without damaging it. I'll have to find it and check what it's going for nowadays. Ideally I wanted to have it graded, but grading cards is expensive, so I never graded any card. If it's worth enough, I might finally send one in.

ISA only charges $5 per card for grading.

ISA only charges $5 per card for grading.

It's cheaper than I remember. It used to be as much as $20 a card, and something like 10 cards for $100. I just never had enough loot to warrant it before. At $5, I should find a few and send 'em in. It's worth it, IMO.

Back