2003 SPx Winning Materials Patch Set Completed - Thanks RW34

Mr264

Prospect
Transactions: 2
Ever since my passion for SPx, one of the first sets I started to chase was the 2003 SPx Winning Materials Patch set. This set has been a slow chase, random cards pop up, some I need, some were upgrades. The second most difficult card in the set was Drew Brees /17. One hit the bay, but with a price I didn't want to pay, because it was his Jsy #, so I let it go, hoping it would be re-listed lower. Well it ended without a buyer and disappeared for six months. When it was re-listed, I snagged it. So for a while now, I have been down to just one card, Jeff Garcia #d /15.

On January 26th of this year, I received a message from an ebay member:

"Hi,
I've been reading the Blogs and noticed you have a nice collection of the 2003 Spx football set and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Joe ( chicagojoec) and a big collector of the 2003 Spx set and wanted to ask that if you ever decide to sell your set if you can please contact me first, I would love the opportunity to make an offer before it went to auction

Thanks for your time
Joe"

I respond and let him know that these sets are my passion and probably won't be for sale for some time (barring a catastrophe), and explain some of the cards I am missing (Jeff Garcia).

He replies, that he has 7 or 8 of the Garcia's....... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

But, like me the set is his passion and good luck with my search.

So, I am thinking, no way in heck will he part with one. We exchange communications for a bit and he still needed for his set: Peyton Manning WM Patch/Au #d /50 or Tom Brady Supreme Auto #d /50. He says, he would trade me one of the Garcia's and cash, if I can locate him one. Oh boy, here we go.

I begin my search and create threads looking for one of them, search photobucket, do all I do when looking for 264s. Well, I get a post from one of the best Collectors ever ricky williams 34 (Wendy), showing me her Peyton Manning Patch/Auto, but #d 34/50 (a collecting focus of hers too).

Long story short, Wendy comes up with the idea that I use mine to trade him, I purchase hers for my set, thus keeping the #d 34/50, close at hand, should we find another Peyton Manning to swap back. She is such a smart, awesome, great, giving, insert adjective here friend. Well, I couldn't agree more about this great idea. I was able to ship mine off to Joe, he gave me a choice of five Garcia's to choose from. These type of things is what makes this hobby soooooo great. Collectors helping collectors. She needs to be watching her mailbox...... :p

So, I did pick up this one to upgrade the single color Rice I had this week too....

03SPxWMP-JR1_zps6da29b9f.jpg

This is the Jeff Garcia that Joe traded me to finish this set......

03SPxWMP-JG_zpscc2e286c.jpg

The 17 card set all together:

WMP-BF Brett Favre 59/75 - OZTATAR (Alex)
WMP-BJ Bryant Johnson 42/75
WMP-CP Chad Pennington 61/75
WMP-DB Drew Brees 9/17
WMP-DC David Carr 51/75
WMP-DM Donovan McNabb 4/75
WMP-JG Jeff Garcia 9/15 - chicagojoec (Joe) assist by RW34 (Wendy)
WMP-JR Jerry Rice 48/75
WMP-LT LaDainian Tomlinson 12/75
WMP-MV Michael Vick 61/75
WMP-PM Peyton Manning 07/75
WMP-PO Clinton Portis 14/75 - micorps (Tim)
WMP-RM Randy Moss 53/75
WMP-RW Ricky Williams 43/75
WMP-SM Santana Moss 29/47
WMP-SW Seneca Wallace 55/75
WMP-TC Tim Couch 07/75

03ZBF_zps7f50f89c.jpg

Yep, agree with Kelly there. Would look superb in a frame - although 17 in a set is a daft number for display!

This is easily over come, use the blank area for a description, a section of the original box or pack the cards came from works well, or a custom personalized label.

Congrats on the set, we'll talk next year about a display, I need to check to what frames I've put away may have something to fit already just not sure a.t.m. One less daily search may seem strange for a while I know it was for me on a number of sets.

Back