Basketball 2003-04 Exquisite Limited Logos Kobe Bryant

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
I was browsing around eBay's top priced items, and came across these cards. It's hard for me to believe anyone paying this much for a card, but it does make me feel good about the hobby when this is a thing. At the time of this post, this is the highest priced card, up for auction, with at least 1 bid (meaning an auction that will sell).

Then here's another one I found, which is also up for auction, that is the 9th highest priced (trading card) auction (at the time of this writing).

So two of the same card, both in the top 10 highest priced auctions on eBay. This brings me to wonder who's buying these cards. My max price on a card is probably about 1/100th of this, although if I were a rich man I'd probably up my limit by a bit. That said, I like to think I'd draw the line when cards cost as much, or more, than a new car. What do y'all think? Is this too much for a card? Is it good, or bad, for the hobby as a whole?

Probably both will sell for MUCH less than where they are now. Most auctions that get insanely high are just people goofing now putting in fake bids just to be silly and drive the price up. Especially with both cards being numbered out of "only" 75. What would #/25 got for? or #/10, 1/1? Logic would dictate that the scarcer the cards, the higher the price. This is just not the case here as there are Kobe autos that have sold for much less.

Personally I think it is bad for the hobby. I know that buy low and sell high is the name of the game and yea 'Murica and capitalism, but it is pretty vile to me that some people specifically try to make money off of someone's death. Yes there were thousands of auctions already posted at the time of his passing. How many cards that were in PCs were listed and sold after his passing BECAUSE of his passing though?

To me, the only reason to sell and buy a card of his for that much money now is if a very sizable donation was made to one of his many charities from the profits of the sale.

My $.02

Back