1989 Topps Football Autograph Set

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
I know I said I would post all my new card pickups in one thread (to minimize so many new threads)...but I thought this one deserves its own space.

I have seen a bunch of people on different sites endeavor to complete signed Topps sets. Frequently, I have seen 1980s Topps baseball sets as the target of many of these collectors (1987 seems to be a popular one). So, I decided to do my own.

Not surprisingly, my choice is 1989 Topps football. I'm not going to dive into my illogical love for this set...because most frequenters of this site have already been well acquainted with it. I just felt this was a good choice for such a project because it's a larger set with only one insert set, it's very inexpensive and most importantly...it's a set I really like.

Another nice thing about it is...I already have a handful of signed cards from this set to get me started. All of these cards (except one) I got through the mail...some when I was a kid and some more recently. The only exception is the Christian Okoye which I picked up from a Chiefs collector who was downsizing his collection. He had a couple signed vintage cards I needed and I basically got this one thrown in for free.

So, here is what I have so far:

#61 Ron Rivera
AHNsnic.jpg

#62 Jim McMahon
8UprMIP.jpg

#83 Wade Wilson
WJxFfbM.jpg

#98 Mike Rozier
fZQjmYf.jpg

#244 Rich Karlis
7BULo8G.jpg

#353 Christian Okoye
iyJuxc6.jpg

#384 Bill Bates
0ffsw4K.jpg

1000 Yard Club #3 Roger Craig
3fl75oM.jpg

So, a few more have come over the last couple days. Unfortunately two came back creased (Krumrie and Newsome - Newsome severely)...but that's what happens sometimes with TTM autos.

#26 Tim Krumrie
S2jBQg0.jpg

#151 Ozzie Newsome
AgSbQrA.jpg

#240 Tony Dorsett
2KOhBxE.jpg

#346 John Settle
dcbRunr.jpg

1000 Yard Club #23 John Settle
jwnzdMM.jpg

I'm happy with any response but I was especially thrilled with the Dorsett. A true legend and someone I heard about from a family friend when I was a little kid (he was a huge Dorsett fan and told stories of almost mythical skills). I never saw him play live, I was too young.

I haven't seen many 1989 Topps cards of Dorsett signed. I suspect a lot of people shy away from those for him because he is shown with Denver in his 1989 issues.

I loved to see sports cards coming from the legends. That was amazing set of sports cards with a signature. Its really nice to show them to us. More power.

So, I have gotten a few more in the mail over the last couple weeks. All of these are TTM mail requests except for the Receiving Leaders card which I purchased.

#8 Roger Craig
SOZY9Rs.jpg

#27 Ickey Woods
0TBs4mq.jpg

#70 Dennis McKinnon
w22yXSc.jpg

#103 Ernest Givins
SceLAU1.jpg

#199 Stanley Morgan
W2jOtBc.jpg

#213 Bill Brooks
55Roqp3.jpg

#218 NFL Receiving Leaders Henry Ellard & Al Toon
HS2GLpI.jpg

#320 Dwight Stone
9tMWUI3.jpg

#379 Sterling Sharpe

L378VKS.jpg

Wow Sterling Sharpe is the man. This is the idol of my dad. Every time he gets points my dad shouting and screaming because of joy and happiness. Maybe there's autograph of Sterling Sharpe in Amazon or eBay. I love to check this out.

Back