1986-87 Fleer Basketball 12-Box Case

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
Just in case any of you were looking for a 1986-87 Fleer 12-box basketball case, and had an extra $300,000 laying around, there is now one up on eBay!

eBay Item: 251481724045

The seller claims that the case is a 3 owner case. The first owner kept 1 case of every product that came through his distribution company. The second owner bought the case from the first owner for over $100,000. I'm not sure, though, how the third owner came to "own" the box. Reading the description it seems like they're selling it on consignment for the second owner, which means there is no third owner. Otherwise, it would be interesting to know what the deal was between the second and third owners, at least to me.

I couldn't imagine owning a single Michael Jordan rookie card, much less an entire case of the product it's pulled from.

One good thing about buying this case is that the buyer is guaranteed 3 Michael Jordan rookie cards or they get a refund right on the spot. The bad thing is, the rookie cards in this case could be horribly centered or stuck to the cards around them. Even if they're not, though, is this case really worth $300,000? Is it even worth half that? To me, no. To the right collector, however, I guess only time will tell.

Last edited:
I'd buy it if I could afford to spend about 8 years salary on a case of 28 year old silly cards.

I actually thought to myself this morning, what an awesome break this would be. If I were a millionaire I'd buy this case, bring it home, bust it live on Breakers.tv and record it to YouTube just like I do with my group breaks.

It was pointed out to me that I made a mistake when I first read this auction. There are 3.2 Michael Jordan rookies per box, which means the buyer should get at least 38 Michael Jordan rookie cards in this case!

My other statement still stands, though, that there's the possibility that none of them are very highly gradable. It would be a major bummer to come up with 40 Michael Jordan rookies that all grade a 4 after you dished out $300,000.

Gem mint RC sells for $10k. You'd have to get 80% in gem mint just to break even. Although I'm sure there may be some other notable cards in the set. Plus you would have just added 30 gem mint to the population, devaluing the cards. Not worth it, even if you had the money to blow.

Back